cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an issue with two Dropbox accounts. Can you help?

Highlighted

I have an issue with two Dropbox accounts. Can you help?

Explorer | Level 4

I have had both an individual or a business Dropbox account for many years. In February, with an individual account at this time, I started what I thought would be a new account for an orgnaization I am involved with.  When I created their account, I did not realize it would affect my individual account.  My individal files no longer show up on my computer, which is where I genrally access them.  I use a Mac and access my files through Finder.  The only thing in the Dropbox folder on the Mac are Get Started with Dropbx paper.url and Get Started with Dropbox .pdf.  

I would like to delete the account for the organization, as we have not added anything to it as yet.  I would like to get my files accessible on my Mac again.  

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks,

Shendl

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Problem with two Dropbox accounts

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Sorry, I feel asleep here.

• When I click on it it says I will unlink the computer and syncing will stop....I haven't done it yet.  Is this what you are suggesting?

Yes, you need to unlink that account which you don't want and then sign in with your account.

As far as I am aware there is no easy way to have multiple accounts syncing.

(and it will probably take a while to sync everything, so be patient

Best,

OCH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Shendl,

I've been in a similar situation and I know sometimes it can get a little bit confusing to manage different accounts.

First things first, and because you also seem to have add more than one account and you are not sure which one you had configured before,

• "I have had both an individual or a business Dropbox account for many years."

I would recommend you to login to https://www.dropbox.com/login with the email address and password combinations that you do remember (or use the forgot your password helper). I also prefer to use the dropbox only on the computer, but here on the website you can quickly have a glance at what kind of files you have in your account.

Then, you need to disconnect the current user in your computer by clicking the dropbox icon > gear icon > preferences > account tab.

Only after that you should be able to recconect to your account. Note that once you login with your account you'll need to wait a little bit for it to sync all the files it needs to.

I hope this is helpful, and I'm sorry for any typos.

Good luck!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I currently have a personal account, although I have had a business account in the past.  I do not have any trouble logging into my personal account on the website.

I do not know where to find the dropbox icon > gear icon > preferences > account tab.  I don't see any of those things when I log on.  When I click on the dropbox icon, I have the following options:

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks,

Shendl

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
  •  I do not have any trouble logging into my personal account on the website.

Ok, that's good. And I assume that you can see that you still have your files there. That should also be reassuring: last thing we want is to loose files!

• I do not know where to find the dropbox icon > gear icon > preferences > account tab.  I don't see any of those things when I log on.

Appologies, I was not clear! The whole web browser login was just to make sure you still have access to your account, and that your files are there. The last part of my suggested instructions where no longer for the browser interface but for the computer instalation.

On the mac menu bar, on the top right hand side there should be a dropbox icon. If not, it means that dropbox has not started. You can start dropbox by openning it from the applications folder. Once you see that litte dropbox icon give it a try:

dropbox icon > gear icon > preferences > account tab

Let me know how it goes.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I do have the Dropbox icon on the Mac.  However, it is offering to have me get started with the new account and the old one is no where to be found.  When I click on Preferences/Account, there is only the new account.  I have the option to Unlink This Dropbox.  When I click on it it says I will unlink the computer and syncing will stop....I haven't done it yet.  Is this what you are suggesting?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Sorry, I feel asleep here.

• When I click on it it says I will unlink the computer and syncing will stop....I haven't done it yet.  Is this what you are suggesting?

Yes, you need to unlink that account which you don't want and then sign in with your account.

As far as I am aware there is no easy way to have multiple accounts syncing.

(and it will probably take a while to sync everything, so be patient

Best,

OCH

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you.  Everything is syning back to the way it was.  At least that's what it looks like.

Is there a way for me set up this organization on Dropbox without it affecting my account?  What do people do when they need another account like this?

Thanks,

Shendl

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Terrific!

Very happy to hear that.

Could you mark one of my answers as the solution, (and/or thumbs up?), and mark this thread as solved?

(I'm trying to see if I can receive community bonus here)

• Is there a way for me set up this organization on Dropbox without it affecting my account?  What do people do when they need another account like this?

As I mentioned before, I don't think there is a straight way to do that.

I would invite you to create a new thread to ask about it.

My thoughts are: a) just access it online, or b) create a new Mac user account on your computer, where you would install dropbox with that organization account configured, and then you would need to switch to that Mac user account everytime you'd want to use "local" version of dropbox for that organization account.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?