cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon has two drop-down menus, one of which only partly works (Flatpak version)

Icon has two drop-down menus, one of which only partly works (Flatpak version)

Helpful | Level 7

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 with Gnome 3.36.8.

I installed the Flatpak version of Dropbox, currently version 112.4.321. (I use Flatpak, because the DEB version keeps asking to update the Dropbox daemon, and Snap doesn't have a version.)

The drop-down menu from the Dropbox icon behaves strangely.

• After the computer has started, the icon doesn't work at all until I double-click it. Thereafter…
  • A single click displays the menu in Gnome style (screenshot 1 below). The menu options work, except for submenus, i.e. Recently Changed Files and Snooze Notifications.
  • A double-click displays the menu in a style that looks like an old Windows menu (screenshot 2 below). The menu options all work, including submenus.

This is a minor issue, but it is counter-intuitive, and it would be nice for it to work properly.

Screenshots

Screenshot 1Screenshot 1Screenshot 2Screenshot 2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Icon has two drop-down menus, one of which only partly works (Flatpak version)

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Paddy L.,

The theme mismatch is some fault related to your flatpak install. Dropbox has nothing to do with this. Seems your install switches between Gnome and Plasma themes.

About the inconsistency in submenus' appearing, Yes, this is very old issue and Dropbox doesn't take care, unfortunately. Seems the Dropbox menu appearing is a big pain of Dropbox for Linux. Very unstable work. There are many other issues related to this menu that appear as symptoms from time to time. Seems the code related to Dropbox menu is produced by someone trainee. Let's hope there is somebody with some more experience and correct this bug (hidden probably). But... at the very beginning, this have to be set as a task for Dropbox development team (something very unlikely).

Good luck to... all of us.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Re: Icon has two drop-down menus, one of which only partly works (Flatpak version)

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Paddy L.,

The theme mismatch is some fault related to your flatpak install. Dropbox has nothing to do with this. Seems your install switches between Gnome and Plasma themes.

About the inconsistency in submenus' appearing, Yes, this is very old issue and Dropbox doesn't take care, unfortunately. Seems the Dropbox menu appearing is a big pain of Dropbox for Linux. Very unstable work. There are many other issues related to this menu that appear as symptoms from time to time. Seems the code related to Dropbox menu is produced by someone trainee. Let's hope there is somebody with some more experience and correct this bug (hidden probably). But... at the very beginning, this have to be set as a task for Dropbox development team (something very unlikely).

Good luck to... all of us.

View solution in original post

Helpful | Level 7

@Здравко— Thank you for that explanation. Well, I guess that it won't be fixed any time soon.

It's OK, though, because as I said, it's a minor thing.

I'll stick with Flatpak because of the inconvenience of the DEB version.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?