cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-installation Issue (Installation failed. The Dropbox failed to start)

Re-installation Issue (Installation failed. The Dropbox failed to start)

StrawberryMochi9
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

Got my new gaming PC today and downloaded Dropbox Desktop in C: drive. Later realized I want the application on D drive. Tried to Cut and paste it to Ddrive, it failed halfway due to "ongoing tasks" (there were no ongoing tasks) so I was left with some files in C: drive and some files in D drive. I opted to delete the folders from both drives and wanted to reinstall the whole thing with the installer. 

First issue encountered, I was left with a dll extension in C: drive that can't be deleted due to "ongoing task" again (there was no ongoing task). Googled and checked Youtube for solution and found that I had to install a software called WiseForce to force delete the remaining extension. It worked; I was able to delete the last extension.

Now I tried to re-install Dropbox using the installer (both online and offline) and kept getting the error below.

StrawberryMochi9_0-1622434698354.png

Additional details:

I searched "This PC" for all "dropbox" related files and force deleted them using WiseForce application. I was left with only the installers but kept getting the error above.

Every time I ran the installer, I get new Dropbox folder in C: Drive with crash reports, which I then delete and remove from recycle bin.

Please help. Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

Re: Re-installation Issue (Installation failed. The Dropbox failed to start)

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @StrawberryMochi9, thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

Can you please try an advanced reinstall and make sure to download and install the desktop app on your C drive this time?

Afterwards, you'll be able to move your Dropbox folder to another drive as outlined here.

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?