cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3

Warwick G.1
New member | Level 2

Thanks, works for me.

Will do whist awaiting the update.

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

There are additional details on this and current related bugs and the temporary workaround (which also works on other Linux distros such as Xubuntu), and also important details on files affected by sudo, at:

Dropbox icon is not working Xubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 - Ask Ubuntu

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

The sudo workaround had the inconvenience of running as root and requiring file ownership recoveries to be able to edit files, etc., as described at the link above.

A much better workaround, with icon as normal user and without those inconveniences, was suggested later there by kk78:

dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=" dropbox start

Rafael M.13
New member | Level 2

@Juan:  the workaround is not working for me in Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon: the icon remains unresponsive

dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=" dropbox start

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

For the irresponsive or missing Dropbox tray icon related bugs, there are currently several workarounds to choose, working for Xubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.:

1. The advised DBUS workaround is the best one and it's working for most people, but not all. If it didn't work for you, please try it again; it can take some seconds to start.

2. If the DBUS workaround is not working for you, then try the dropbox status workaround, also at that link, rather than the sudo one (workaround 4). As I said there, in practice I found that the simple "dropbox status" workaround without icon is better and more convenient than the other "sudo dropbox start" workaround with icon, because of the file ownership recoveries for sudo, needed to edit files, etc.

3. About another possibility, going back to a previous bug free Dropbox version, such as 3.12.6, see the posts at the latest Stable Build 3.14.7 – Dropbox Community. In this case, also ask John from Dropbox there to disable automatic updates for your account until the bug is hopefully fixed by Dropbox.

4. The sudo workaround is not convenient because of the use of root. It needs recoveries of file ownership, as also described at the first link above.

Of course the first DBUS workaround, simple and with icon for normal user, that is without any of those problems, is the best of them all.

file c.
New member | Level 2
 1) I wrote this little script

#!/bin/bash

dbus-launch dropbox start -i

2) I removed Dropbox from the startup application  and I put the link to the script, same thing in the applications menu

Now the icon is back and everything works, at least for the first dropbox account (is inside ubuntu).

For the second dropbox account that I have in data ntfs partition, if I click on "open folder" instead of opening caja, it opens firefox

Rafael M.13
New member | Level 2

@file c.: thanks, that worked for me (Linux MInt 17.3 Cinnamon):

dbus-launch dropbox start

restores the icon usability. You don't need to add " -i " except in case you need to install dropbox. The script helps to start dropbox at startup, but just using the command the icon works again.

DBUS workaround (@Juan) didn't worked for me, I don't know why; dbus-launch does. Thanks to all. At least in Linux the icon seems to be the only way to access dropbox preferences, info, etc.

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1
dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

Thanks, this also works for Linux Mint KDE.

Neil P.7
New member | Level 1
dbus-launch dropbox start

Thanks for this fix.

Kenneth B.14
New member | Level 2

I used the workaround below.

dropbox stop

sudo dropbox start

It seems to have worked but I haven't tried downloading/editing/etc. If I repeat

"dropbox stop"  followed by  "dbus - launch dropbox start" will that restore the icon

functionality without any file permission problems??

Linux Mint 17.3 although I was experienceing this problem under 17.2 as well.

Need more support?