cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View in File Explorer option is greyed

View in File Explorer option is greyed

Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

Why is the "View in File Explorer" option greyed out for me? This is super annoying. We are paying more for a lower quality of service.

Please fix it.

Jim

31 Replies 31

Re: View in File Explorer option is greyed

Dropboxer
Hey @jimhar12, would you mind checking back at the hints outlined here as a first step? Also, is there any slight chance you haven’t synced the folder where the file’s placed in locally Jim? Please have an additional look at your Selective Sync settings for me if you don’t mind & let me know here if that’s the culprit. 

Thanks in advance for taking the time to have an additional look at the pointers above & please keep me updated on your findings in your next message; I’m positive we’ll clarify what’s happening soon! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Jane but this is not answering my question. The hints are unrelated and exploring them are time consumming. Everything is greyed except the "open" and the "open with" options... so the options "Star", "Share...", "Copy link" , "Version history", "View in File Explorer", "View on Dropbox.com" are greyed.

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me on this discussion @jimhar12; I understand that the time you’re spending to work on this matter is important to you & I equally value your efforts! Just so as to make sure I have a clear picture the matter at hand, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of the grayed out options you’re seeing; please include it in your next post here if possible. 

Once I have these details, I’ll try to focus on that a bit closer. Thanks again Jim! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Having the same issue. Just started recently and is quite a pain

Explorer | Level 4

Having the same problem

Dropboxer

Hey @MFDesign, thanks for pinging me back here on this matter! Have you by any chance had the chance to look into the pointers I posted for Jim above? Please let me know how you get on with my advice in your next message & we’ll take it from there. Thanks again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane

I did explore your hints. As Jim said, they are unrelated. The open function works fine. Its the other functions mentioned by Jim that are greyed out. Why would you send us to hints for fixing something that we do not have a problem with? Frankly i believe we are way past the simple hints such as; "Does your computer meet the system requirements" and "Are you signed into the correct account"

We used to be able to select the file in the "Recent" window and it would take us directly to the local folder where it resides. After an update from dropbox clicking on the file would no longer take us directly to the local folder where it resides, but would cause it to open in the parent application. We were then forced to take an extra step and right click the file in the "Recent" window and select the "View in folder" tab, if we wanted to see it in the folder. This function worked for a while but suddenly its greyed out along with the other functions that Jim mentioned. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying the specifics on this inquiry @MFDesign, I understand where the issue lies for you better now after your last post here (i.e. it was my initial understanding that the issue pertains to the Open Button on your account online); apologies for my initial misunderstanding. 

I just checked back on the options you’ve mentioned & I was able to find those on the ellipsis (:speech balloon:) icon when navigating on the Recents tab. If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you please include a screengrab (without any personal info) in your next message, so as to follow-up on that a bit more closely? 

Following from your request though, I'd suggest unlinking your account to your desktop & relinking once to see if this does the trick for you this time, just so as to rebuild the local database settings. Whenever you do, please let me know whether you’re getting a different result this time. Thanks & I’ll be awaiting to see if that’s the fix we’ve been looking for! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

At some point yesterday the options discussed began to function again. I did nothing, no unlink relink, no restart. It just started working again. Shortly after responding to your message yesterday, I did notice that all my activity was cleared. No entries in My Activity but Team Activity was still intact. Aparently it had been reset or something. Not by me though. Hard to believe it is all a coincidence. 

Regardless it is functioning as it was now. 

Thanks

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?