cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't play audio files from app, but can from website

can't play audio files from app, but can from website

mikescud
New member | Level 2

I'm having a weird issue. I have some old casette files that I have converted to MP3 files, which of course are not iphone-friendly. However, in using dropbox, I can use the website from my phone and the files will play. But then when I tried to make it easier for myself and downloaded the dropbox app for ihpone, the files are not playable. Instead I'm getting the "couldn't load file ; There was an error loading the file" message on the screen and hitting the play button won't work like it does when I use it from Safari. Any idea why?

6 Replies 6

Re: can't play audio files from app, but can from website

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there, @mikescud

Could it be that you don’t have a third party app on your phone that could preview the files in question? Are you still able to preview the files through the website? 

Let me know of any additional info and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mikescud
New member | Level 2

I figured out earlier just how much iphones don't like playing audio from MP3 files. And another site I read suggested using dropbox as a work-around, by uploading them to Dropbox from my Mac and then playing them from my phone. Which worked when I opened dropbox in Safari on my iphone X. The audio played perfectly! But then, thinking it would be a faster and simpler experience, I downloaded the Dropbox app for the phone and tried playing the files in the app, but got the error messages on them. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply, @mikescud

:thinking: Just to ensure troubleshooting on this, could you please let me know if you’re having this issue with all .mp3 files? Do you by any chance know the bit rate and sample rates of the .mp3 files are?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mikescud
New member | Level 2
Its all MP3 files but as to the bit rate, sample rate, that’s way beyond my expertise to know.

Lusil
Dropboxer
No worries, @mikescud:grin:

I’d recommend we move this discussion then to email due to account-specific info that’s necessary so as to further investigate on the matter. Having said that, I’ve sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Please check your inbox for my latest message. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Micheal2
New member | Level 2
I am trying to learn how to play music from a website, so I appreciate your input that it is possible to actually do that. Thank you.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Micheal2 New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropboxer
    mikescud New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?