cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cant edit shared file despite formal access

Cant edit shared file despite formal access

janniefjordside
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there!

Hope someone smart and kind can help me. Some months ago I mooved into a collective which has a shared Dropbox account. I have been added and I am listed with the right to edit, but for some reason I am not allowed to edit after all - not even to upload documents. It may have something to do with the fact that for a short period of time, I have had my free account upgraded to a paid version and then later changed back again. Anyone out there with an idea of what the issue may be and how to fix it? (Frustrated but hopeful) smiles, Jannie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropboxer
Absolutely, Jannie!

So, generally, when you disband your team, what happens, is your Dropbox folder structure changes from a 'team' structure, to an 'individual' structure. Because when you disband your team, you just go back to having an individual Dropbox account. 

That said, all folders that are already shared, will remain shared, you don't need to worry about that. 

Let me know if you have more questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Hi @janniefjordside 

What errors etc. is it giving you when you try and edit or save?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

janniefjordside
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Mark,

thanks for chipping in with guidance! I don't get an actual error code or anything of the sort, but a box pops up stating that "My team no longer has full access to all the functions in Dropbox Business" (and in this particular case it is uploading of a photofile which is refused). That makes sense so far that I have annulled my dropbox business long time ago - with full intention - but none of the other members of our household use business to be able to edit/upload.

So somehow the problem seems to be that I cannot get access to totally normal features after having been on and later dropped the business solution.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @janniefjordside, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Is it possible that your account was in a Dropbox Business free trial, which has now expired or was only temporarily upgraded to Dropbox Business and was then downgraded?

If any of the above is true, your account might be stuck in what we call a 'locked state', which limits Dropbox functionality.

To resolve this and be able to use your account again, you can disband your team

Let me know if that worked!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

janniefjordside
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah

Thanks for the suggestions. Before I dissolve/disband my team, I would really like to be certain about one thing.

After I have downgraded from dropbox business back to "normal", I have been invited to a bunch of shared files with the people I now live with it (it's a collective so we a bunch of different people who need access to formal documents etc). So I have never added them or anything like that as  a team, but I just want to make sure that dissolving my team won't risk making any trouble for them in regards to their access or even worse: come with the risk of deleting or blocking the whole group's access to any material?

Thanks again for your time and advice!

- Kindly, Jannie

Hannah
Dropboxer
Absolutely, Jannie!

So, generally, when you disband your team, what happens, is your Dropbox folder structure changes from a 'team' structure, to an 'individual' structure. Because when you disband your team, you just go back to having an individual Dropbox account. 

That said, all folders that are already shared, will remain shared, you don't need to worry about that. 

Let me know if you have more questions!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

janniefjordside
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much, Hannah - it's fixed 🙂

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?