cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separating from a team?

Separating from a team?

Explorer | Level 3

Good Morning, 

I am an infrequent DB user. I created this account at the request of a partner when we needed to share images and they made me part of a team. 

I'm now working on a different project and have been asked to share files via DB, but when I create the folder, it falls under the partners team. The partner is not related to this project and I'd prefer they didn't have access. 

I tried recreating the account, but it says the email is already used. 

How do I create folders that are only mine that I can then share with third parties?

Thanks,
Lee

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Separating from a team?

Dropboxer

In that case, you'll need to go back to an individual account Lee. 

If you're on a Dropbox for Business teams account, you'll need to reach out to the team's admin and have them convert your account back to an individual one using these steps. 

In case you're part of a free team account though, you'll just need to leave the team to revert back to an individual account. 

To leave the team, click the 'Leave team' button at the top right hand side of the page I linked to and this will return your account to a personal, individual account.

Just note that when you leave a team, you will no longer have access to any files in your team folder so if you'd like to retain access to files within the folder, you should make a copy before leaving the team.

Let us know how you get on @LRyanAoC

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Dropboxer

Hey @LRyanAoC, thanks for reaching out to us. 

You should be able to create a shared folder by simply going to the Files tab online and selecting to create a New shared folder

Out of curiosity though, could you guide me through the steps that you're taking to share the folder in question? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work.  When I create the folder, it still shows up under the team name (see attached image) Illium is the team name. 

Lee

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 12.36.24 PM.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot, @LRyanAoC

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, could you clarify if you're adding the folder within an already shared folder or team folder?

Could you also let me know if the folder you're creating has an icon that looks like two people or a building in the middle of it?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, 

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, could you clarify if you're adding the folder within an already shared folder or team folder?

I'm trying NOT to do either of those things. 

What I wanted was an unshared folder outside of the team folder. 

Since I had to move on with this project, (but still need an answer to my original question for the future), I created a new folder called DB Test. Here are the associated screen shots. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 1.36.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-13 at 1.37.09 PM.png

Thanks,
Lee

Dropboxer

Hey there @LRyanAoC!

From what it looks like there the folder isn't currently shared with anyone.

As you're account is currently under the Business team, the account's name is shown as Ilium. This doesn't mean though that the folder is shared with the rest of the team.

As the folder has a plain folder icon, it shows that it's not currently shared. You can also double check this sorting your files on the website and showing "Members".

The folder should show "Only you" while your other shared folders show "X Members".

I hope that helps clarify the matter!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne Thanks. See @Lusil's post above as to why I created the DB Test Folder. 

The folder I was trying to share (and have done so successfully) is the AOC commercial folder, but it still shows as Illium AOC Commercial

As you're account is currently under the Business team, the account's name is shown as Ilium. This doesn't mean though that the folder is shared with the rest of the team.

@Daphne This is what I'm trying to get away from. The account was originally created to work with Illium, but that project has completed. When I tried to create a stand alone account it said my email was already in use. TBH 90% of the time we use Google drive, but there is the occasional partner/client that wants DB. I would prefer to interact without the Illium Business Team. How do I do that?

Lee

Dropboxer

In that case, you'll need to go back to an individual account Lee. 

If you're on a Dropbox for Business teams account, you'll need to reach out to the team's admin and have them convert your account back to an individual one using these steps. 

In case you're part of a free team account though, you'll just need to leave the team to revert back to an individual account. 

To leave the team, click the 'Leave team' button at the top right hand side of the page I linked to and this will return your account to a personal, individual account.

Just note that when you leave a team, you will no longer have access to any files in your team folder so if you'd like to retain access to files within the folder, you should make a copy before leaving the team.

Let us know how you get on @LRyanAoC

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

linked to previous client's team account

New member | Level 2

Hello.  My personal account somehow got linked to a team account?  of a previous client.

I'd just like my account to be a regular personal DropBox account.

I'm concerned that if I just deleted my account, I wouldn't be able to recreate it with my main email address.

So, please help, let me know what I can do to extricate myself from the team account and keep my current DropBox files and folders and ensure no one else has any access to my account.  Thanks.

Re: linked to previous client's team account

Dropboxer
Thanks for reaching out @KB42.

When you have the time, please check out Walter's post here for some more info.

Give me a shout if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?