cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a shared folder with people outside of the team

Sharing a shared folder with people outside of the team

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I  am a Team Admin in a Business Dropbox Account. I tried to share a Shared Folder with an Individual Dropbox Account. However, the person can not see the shared folder and when he opens the notification email - he is asked to join our Business account to view the folder. I have checked the sharing settings and sharing with people outside of the account is enabled. 

The shared folder is a subfolder in a Team folder, but I have tried to share a shared folder located in my personal folder and the result is the same.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sharing a shared folder with people outside of the team

Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply here, @FichoZ

I was able to locate the request from my end and have replied via email. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Dropboxer

Hey there, @FichoZ

Have you checked the sharing settings of the folder in question? As a team admin, you can do this by following the steps below:

1. Navigate to your Admin Console. 
  2. Go to Team folders
  3. Locate the team folder that contains the sub-folder you want to share. You can also search for it from the search bar at the top of your screen. 
  4. Navigate to the sub-folder you want to share and select the Manage option that appears on the right side of the folder when you hover over it. 
  5. At the top of the pop-up window, click on the gear icon 
  6. Ensure that the Folder membership option is Anyone and check any other option there that you may want to change to suit your needs as well.

Let me know if this helps or if you're still having trouble with this! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hey Lusil,

Thank you for the answer. The Team Folder and the shared folder I want to share have both the Folder membership option to Anyone. I am still getting the same result. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift reply, @FichoZ

Just to ensure that I understand correctly, are the Sharing Settings from your Admin Console set to allow members to share with people who aren't on the team? This can be checked by:

1. Navigate to your Admin Console. 
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Scroll down to Sharing
  4. Check what the options are set there. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

dropbox.PNG

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot, @FichoZ

In this case, I’d suggest moving this discussion to email due to account-specific info required so as to have a better look into this matter with you. 

Could you please submit a request via email and let me know the seven digit number by replying to this thread from your Admin Console, so that we can have a look at it together? 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

Hey @Lusil, 

The ticket is #8802850

Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply here, @FichoZ

I was able to locate the request from my end and have replied via email. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

I have the very same problem.  Just converted from DB Indivdual to Business in order to be able to share subfolders in a shared folder, with individuals that are not necessarily using DB Business...

Help is urgently needed (and appreciated)

Roy

Dropboxer
Hey Roy. 

Currently, sharing a folder in a different way than its parent shared folder isn't currently possible, regardless of the subscription. 

Since all folders inherit the sharing properties of their parent folders, if any folder higher in the hierarchy is shared already, the subfolder cannot have its own sharing properties.

If you want the other users to be able to access and edit content in the subfolder, you'll need to unshare the parent folder and then reshare the subfolders. This will allow you finite control over who is a member of what folder in the parent folder.

If you don’t want the users to be able to edit content but to be able to access it, you can send them a shared link to the subfolder, instead. 

I hope this helped to some extent. 

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?