cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arch Linux Dropbox Gnome app indicator drop down menu

Arch Linux Dropbox Gnome app indicator drop down menu

timothyantrimcarter
Explorer | Level 4

I use Arch Linux as well as many other Linux flavors. Often on Arch with Gnome desktop I had trouble getting the Dropbox drop down menu to look and perform properly. I searched the Internet but really found nothing addressing my problem. I actually gave up on it for a few months. While trying to correct another problem with the app indicator panel I installed libappindicator-gtk3. It solved the other problem I was working on but I got an added bonus in that the Dropbox drop down menu suddenly started working perfectly as it does on Linux Mint Cinnamon, Debian Gnome and MX Linux Xfce. So just a tip if the Dropbox drop down menu is not performing properly on Arch Linux Gnome, try installing libappindicator-gtk3 from the Arch repositories. It is in the Arch official extra repository. I think it's possible that this solution could also help on any Arch based distro such as Manjaro, EndeavourOS, etc. if the Dropbox drop down menu doesn't look or perform correctly. I also had the same problem on Fedora Gnome but I don't currently have a free test partition to try this with Fedora.

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @timothyantrimcarter, thanks for posting and sharing that with us!

It's always helpful to see how you were able to solve and troubleshoot on your end, and that might be a tremendous help for someone else.

Wishing you a great rest of your week ahead! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

timothyantrimcarter
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for your interest. This was actually a big problem for me for quite some time. I never found anything on the internet about it. So just in case someone else might be searching for an answer...
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

timothyantrimcarter Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?