cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Basic: quick solutions to common issues

Dropbox Basic: quick solutions to common issues

ljackman
Dropbox Staff
Your Dropbox Basic account allows you to organize your files and folders, you might have heard us mention it once or twice. Check out this post, where I discuss how to best utilize your Dropbox Basic account. Dropbox has become one of my favorite tools to keep me organized and maintain my virtual workspace. Since it’s so important to me, I try to stay on top of my account by avoiding issues such as forgetting my password, getting locked out my account or not being able to sync my files.

As part of my Dropbox journey, I have used several solutions to help me alleviate problems that I come across. Even people that work inside Dropbox can stumble or come up against an issue, but don’t worry, we can get you back up and running in no time. Here's some of the inside scoop on a few quick solutions. 

I forgot my Dropbox password

If you forget your password, do not panic. I have so many passwords that I occasionally forget my Dropbox password. Here are 5 quick steps of how to change your password.

1. Go to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Sign in.
  3. Click Forgot your password? under the Sign in button.
  4. Enter the email address you used to create the account. Dropbox will send a password reset link to that address.
  5. Click the link in the email to create a new password.

Once you are back into your Dropbox account you can use Dropbox Passwords and never lose access to your accounts again. Dropbox Passwords is a mobile and desktop app that syncs your passwords across devices and lets you seamlessly sign in to websites and apps. Read more about how to troubleshoot password challenges. 

My files won't sync

Have you ever began working on a project and your document is not syncing to your Dropbox account? This problem is often an external issue, meaning your internet connection may not be strong or you may have to restart your computer. Here are a few tips and tricks on how to solve the problem of files that won't sync. 

• Internet connection: Your Dropbox account on the desktop will only sync files when your computer is connected to the internet. Check the connection and reconnect if necessary. Once connected, your files should sync.
  • Restart: If the internet connection is good to go, but you still do not have access to your Dropbox account, it will be helpful to restart Dropbox and restart your computer. 
  • Space: You may have used too much space and the new file you are working to upload cannot fit into your Dropbox account. Check that you have not used all your space if this new file is not syncing. 
  • Connected accounts: Remember, you can connect 3 different devices with your Dropbox Basic account. If you are logged into your Dropbox account on 4 or more devices, chances are your information may not sync. Double check that you are only logged on to 3 devices and sign out of your 4th device if necessary. 

I received an error message 

An error message popped up on your screen when you tried to share one of your files. This likely happened because the file you tried to share isn’t in your Dropbox account anymore. This can occur if the file was deleted or removed from Dropbox, by you or another member of the folder.

To restore deleted files or folders:
  1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Deleted files in the left sidebar.
  3. Click on the name of the deleted file or folder you want to recover.
    1. You can select multiple files or folders at once by clicking the checkbox icon
  4. Click Restore. Restorations can take time if you’re restoring a large number of files.

I can’t find my files 

Have you ever gone into your Dropbox account and thought you had a case of the missing files? Believe me your files are not missing, so you don’t need to start calling the Files and Folders police. Dropbox always logs the move of a file as both a deletion and an addition. If you moved or renamed files, you will receive a deleted files message. Here’s 2 methods that has worked for me to retrieve my files. 

1. Use the Search Bar
    1. Sign in to your Dropbox account on the website 
    2. Locate the search bar at the top of the page 
    3. Type in some keywords related to the missing files.
    4. Locate the log entry for the deletion of your files or folder
    5. Next click the three dots beside your missing files > Then click the Restore button.

1. Use the Events Page
    1. Sign into your Dropbox account on the website and Navigate to dropbox.com/events.
    2. Scanning the page and looking for the deletions that relate to the missing file or folder.
    3. Click the Restore button to get them back.

If you are reading this, chances are you have a Dropbox Basic account. You have learned how to use differentapplications, tips and tricks through engaging in the Dropbox Basic series. Remember the Dropbox Community is yours and a very relatable and resourceful place to collaborate and connect with other Dropbox users. Visit the Dropbox Community to guide you through any other issues or questions you may have about yo...

If you have a question about your Dropbox Basic account, reply to this post.
0 Replies 0
Need more support?