cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the most of Movebot and Dropbox

Make the most of Movebot and Dropbox

Amy
Community Manager
If you do any kind of business online, chances are you use an online storage platform and sometimes, your needs change and you need to move your files. But don’t worry - moving from cloud storage platforms, or on-premise file servers to Dropbox couldn't be easier. The Data Migration Add-On, powered by Movebot, makes it simple, secure and affordable, without the need for software deployment or complex processes. 

Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple. Not only can you quickly and securely migrate files, you can also copy over all of the associated permissions from on-premise file servers and existing cloud storage solutions to Dropbox.

So, what can I do with Movebot?

Well, first of all, you can: 

• Migrate home directories, folders, and personal shares to Dropbox
  • Transfer sharing permissions from cloud and on-premises sources to Dropbox
  • Monitor file transfer jobs in real-time with reporting, visualization, and event-logging
  • Automate and expedite migrations with parallel loading, Dropbox API call optimization, and Movebot’s managed scalable technology
  • Schedule migration jobs in advance — to run once or on a repeating schedule.

But you don’t just have to take our word for it, Jack is a senior designer on the team over at Graphicks, a creative agency, who recently used Movebot to transfer their files over to Dropbox, and he said:

Movebot and Dropbox have made our lives so much easier. We used Movebot to migrate around 2TB of data from a different cloud service to Dropbox and the process was very smooth. We work with a wide range of file formats and both platforms supported our every need.

We deal with large design files on a daily basis, which makes the different sync options available on Dropbox vital to our workflow. Being able to collaborate easily as a team from different parts of the country is essential.

As a creative agency we needed a more collaborative and cost-effective solution to managing our files. Dropbox was an easy choice as other solutions have fewer features and don’t handle larger files formats as well. The unlimited storage that Dropbox offers means that we can continue to grow as a team without the worry that we will run out of storage – something that our previous platform would constantly remind us of!

Have you ever needed to transfer a large amount of files from one platform to Dropbox? Check out how the Dropbox Data Migration Add-On, powered by Movebot can benefit your business or talk to our team about using Movebot today.
5 Replies 5

Chuck Thomas
Explorer | Level 4

Can one use Movebot to consolidate two DropBox accounts? I want to move all of the files and folders in my 2TB account to my 3TB account.

Rich
Super User II

@Chuck Thomas wrote:

Can one use Movebot to consolidate two DropBox accounts? I want to move all of the files and folders in my 2TB account to my 3TB account.

The Data Migration Add-On is available to Dropbox Business customers. It's not available on personal accounts such as Basic, Plus or Professional.

Chuck Thomas
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks a lot, Rich!  Do you think it would be more cost-effective to switch my new account from Professional to Business Standard?

At some point, I expect that I will have people working with me. Thank you for your help!

Chuck

Rich
Super User II

@Chuck Thomas wrote:

Do you think it would be more cost-effective to switch my new account from Professional to Business Standard? At some point, I expect that I will have people working with me.

Until you have additional people that need licenses, no. The minimum number of licenses for a Business account is three, so until you have employees, you'll be paying for two licenses that you aren't using.

Chuck Thomas
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, I didn't realize how the business account is billed.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chuck Thomas Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?