cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

334 Replies 334

Scott C.67
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Dropbox,

I spent ages trying to figure out why the green tick had disappeared, before I ended up here.

Before: A quick glance and I see a green tick, and I'd know instantly all is well.

Now: I'm constantly worrying that Drobbox has disconnected, and having to squint at the Notification Area icon to see if I can tell whether it's white or slightly-less white.

What a monumentally daft change this is!

I've long been thinking that it might be worth a switch to OneDrive but... inertia. However, I'm getting ever closer to that moment when I've had enough, and poor UI choices like this (not to mention your appalling new website design) aren't likely to persuade me to stay.

I think this is pretty much your last chance at retaining my $100/year. Bring back the green tick!

Thanks.

Scott.

irbrenda
Explorer | Level 3

I seriously thought Dropbox was offline or broken since I had changed ISP providers yesterday too.  I figured they couldn't get the internet right and broke Dropbox too, just to make my day  a little worse!   This is really not pretty and difficult for old eyes to tell if it's really up to date without hovering over the icon with a mouse.  

janjoker
Explorer | Level 4

Please make it a setting.

For me personally the green checkmark (or any overlay to the icon) meant: network connection okay.

Seeing no overlay meant to me: your network connection is lost. So I was quite confused, until I found out that it is changed on purpose.

kvicho
New member | Level 2

Please bring it back!

MatG-DK
Helpful | Level 7

It cant be so difficult to change it back...or at least let us have the option to choose between the new and the old tray icons.

Just noticed that i use TeamViewer and it also use a green "marker" in the tray icon, to indicate that everything is "OK"

Please Dropbox, please listen to some of your best customers and don't let us down.

For every one who replied in this community, there are 100 users or more that does not take the time to express their frustrations.

As someone wrote earlier, it's just like when Microsoft removed the "StartMenu" in Windows 8

= the worst decision ever...

Plz

CheckMark
New member | Level 2

I was also confused so much I ended up here. Luckily found this, since a change like this is troubling. You never know, is it synched or is there some error. 

Anyway, I like the colored checkmark a lot more then the grey-out. Please bring back the CHECKMARK 
in the system tray to indicate when fully syncronised. Thank you.

Jeroen.

lpmesquita
Explorer | Level 4

Somehow it is good to know that I'm not the only one who got really affected by this subtle, yet very disturbing change.

like I said before, I don't know what could've possible driven then to make this stupid change, really.

The difference between the "online" and "offline" status indicator it's barely noticeable . If they don't bring back the green checkmark, at least they could make the "online" icon blue, and the offline could still continue as it is, white grayed out.

PLEASE, Dropbox, listen to us, make some chances... don't make us migrate to another service, cuz even though this may seem like a storm in a teacup, it isn't.

Louiw
New member | Level 2

I work online and offline when I work in School and don't have an internet connection. The green icon allows me to see when files I've added offline are added and synced. I too have  spent ages reloading, rebooting and searching to find out where the green icon has gone. My dropbox icon now looks like I'm offline and is insignificant. 

With the blue and green symbol, I could know instantly what's happening - now I have no idea. 

Bring it back, it makes no sense to remove it. I have used dropbox for decades and this is the first time ever I felt compelled to request anything!

It would have been good to have had an email telling of the updates too. Not very good service to your longstanding customers.

Morp
Explorer | Level 3

Does the Design team roadtest design changes before implementation?  

Its hard to imagine how asking anyone at all would not have flagged the sorts of points people have raised. 

A usability engineer (Human Factors) would have identified this issue in a nano-second (and any access implications for visually impaired people). 

A marketing professional might have foreseen the negative customer feedback (and its cost).

Having a process to consult either a Human Factors and/or Marketing professional would be of benefit I'd suggest.  Like others, I've wasted a pile of time today on this and its my 1st ever post.

ydespond
Explorer | Level 3

Please, bring back the green checkmark.

Need more support?