Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox keeps saying 'can't sync, not enough free disk space'?

Level 7

I need to sync 20MB of files, my hdd drive is having 400MB free space, still it says, disk is full.

Dropbox needs to serious check free disk space properly. Thanks.

Tags (2)
22 Replies

Re: Dropbox keeps saying 'can't sync, not enough free disk space'?

Dropboxer
What operating system are you on? I suggest that you check to make sure that your operating system is up to date, and that you’re using the latest stable version of our desktop app. 

You can also try clearing the Dropbox cache folder to free up some space. 

If your system is up to date and current, and you’re using stable versions of our app and your operating system, then I would suggest submitting a support ticket here, if the issue persists. This way, our team can take a closer look at this for you, and make sure to get it to the right desk for review if necessary winking face

Thanks! 

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 7

This is standard reply from Dropox and unfortunately its of no use. I really don't know why Dropbox thinks that their newer version is superior and does not have bugs.
Btw, I am using latest version of Dropbox. This issue has been existing since many versions. Dropbox never looked into it.

Even if Dropbox has to sync 10MB of data, it would ask for 1GB of free disk space, which is insane and illogical. But all Dropbox versions are designed like this.  Unfortunate but true.

Thank you.

Super User II
You have to remember though that to download that 20mb file it is going to take more space than 20mb while its processing - thats just how Dropbox works. It isnt a bug. Its by design.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 7

FYI, for a 20MB files, if Dropbox needs up to 40-50MB is understood.

Unfortunately, Dropbox is so buggy that even if there is 1GB of free space, it keeps giving same error.

It will refuse to sync whatever you do.

This is nor first time, I have noticed this each and every time.

Even if I change 5MB of file, it needs more than 1GB to be free to make a sync. When I do that, it will sync nicely.

Isn't this a serious bug. I think it is.

Super User II
I dont think so, no.

Most applications require at least 10% of a hard drives space to operate comfortably and without issue. Requiring only 1gb is, in my opinion, very lenient.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@rajhanschinmay you may wanna open a ticket with our support team and share with them details of the files you're trying to sync so they can troubleshoot in more details (please do not share file names/details here)

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Dropbox needs extra space to operate as well as other programs on your computer. Try freeing up some more space by deleting/moving some files

Level 7

How does type of file matter.

I mean 20MB file and needs 1GB of space.

Even compressed files won't need more than 40MB of space.

It is noe of the serious known bugs in Drobpox in calculating the needed free disk space.

It estimates it vastly wrong.

It has been the issue since all the versions. Several people have posted similar thing earlier, but no action from Dropbox. 

Kindly do something soon. 

Thanks. 

Level 2

I have a half a terabyte hard drive and 1 Terabyte on dropbox that I recently reorganized. In a follow up sync (which btw is estimated as 'days'), Dropbox needs SO much space that it forced me to remove EVERYTHING from my hard disk including all files and most applications that I had to delete, and it STILL is OUT OF SPACE and will not finish syncing!!!!!

I'm at a state where I want to take all my files and never, ever, EVER use this crappy application again, BUT..

Dropbox is now holding my files hostage because I cannot download them as they are out of sync.

This IS a bug. I have a list of software I have to reinstall if and when this DROPBOX NIGHTMARE will end, and an external hard drive with ALL what used to be on my internal hard drive to put back on my computer. Dropbox is worse than Ransomware. At least Ransomware was doing things by design, dropbox is just clueless which worries me MORE.

I'm at a point where I can only uninstall my OS (win 8.1) to make more space, but WAIT, that's impossible! And even if it was I'm sure that 5 minutes after I deinstalled the OS, dropbox would again pop up with a little error that syncing cannot continue as more space is needed to sync.

Junk, junk, junk. Never again. Better business bureau if this is not resolved. So far no answer from support.

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

22 Replies
33 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post