cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"This file can't be previewed" Error Message

"This file can't be previewed" Error Message

sarah h.13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This morning I started receiving the error message "This file can't be previewed" when I try to view pictures saved in my dropbox account. These are all uploaded by me and span a couple years worth of pictures. This is a work account, so it's important these aren't lost. They are also linked on a google doc and the same message occurs when the link is clicked.

I tried signing out then back in. I'm not sure what else to try?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JSN11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This article - https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/file-types-that-preview- solved my "the file can't be previewed" problem.

Specifically, this: 
To preview files on Dropbox using Chrome, make sure that Chrome is not set to Block third-party cookies and site data. You can adjust this setting on Chrome's Content settings page under Cookies.

No problem now viewing on Chrome or Firefox via PC or Mac. 

Phew.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

jzika
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same here. It's Monday after Thanksgiving, and I can't view a single file in my Dropbox account. "This file can't be previewed." These are small .jpeg files and I've changed nothing in my system.

I just wasted an hour searching every forum, help link & trying everything I can think of. I put all my family photos and work photos on Dropbox a few months ago, after much anxiety about exactly this scenario. Otherwise, I love Dropbox.

What gives? Hoping it's a temporary bug that will soon be sorted out. Otherwise -- I'm out of here!

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

Hello, Sarah...

You can try a different browser to see if the same error occurs:

Do you use the web interface only or did you install Dropbox's Desktop Client on your computer to upload your files?  If you installed their Desktop Client then your original files should still be in your Dropbox Folder which is located on your hard drive.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

sarah h.13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I did try other browsers and got the same error message and I use the web interface as opposed to the desktop client.

However, the issue seems to have resolved itself as everything is working fine again as if nothing happened. I just wonder what happened and how to avoid it in the future? I wonder if it may have just been an issue with dropbox. 

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@sarah h.13 wrote:

I did try other browsers and got the same error message and I use the web interface as opposed to the desktop client.

However, the issue seems to have resolved itself as everything is working fine again as if nothing happened. I just wonder what happened and how to avoid it in the future? I wonder if it may have just been an issue with dropbox. 

Hello...

Even if you use the web interface the files came from your computer so the original files should still be on your hard drive.

Hard to say for sure, I wasn't having any problems previewing my files through the web interface when you were.  Some of the issues can be caused by our browsers... when you have time, I reccommend that you read this forum thread.

Glad your problem is resolved.

joevalley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox was working fine (since the beginning of time for me) in terms of pictures having a thumbnail preview option when scrolling through folders. Now, all of a sudden (and with my team members experiencing the same issue), SOME, not all, pictures are not able to be previewed. Instead, they say, "This file can't be previewed." I have checked the file extensions and naming structures of the files with no obvious red flags. One file that does have a preview can have the same kind of file name and same file extension as another file that doesn't have a preview. I have tried using Chrome (our main browser), safari, firefox, and Maxthon; all with same results. I have also tried using Chrome in "Incognito" mode. All to no avail. 

Most of the pictures do have previews. Some do not. Help!

Joe Valley

Dolphinusr002
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, this problem is infuriating. The quality of the service has clearly dropped over the period of months that I've used dropbox. I used to be able to preview videos on it, but now it's not possible at all. If things don't change, it may be time to start looking elsewhere, because paying for service which degrades isn't very good.

I cannot preview even .jpg images at sometimes.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Refer to the File preview errors section on the following help article.

joevalley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks, we'll check that out. We are using TIFF files...so that shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps, file size is our issue. I'll look into it. 

JSN11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This article - https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/file-types-that-preview- solved my "the file can't be previewed" problem.

Specifically, this: 
To preview files on Dropbox using Chrome, make sure that Chrome is not set to Block third-party cookies and site data. You can adjust this setting on Chrome's Content settings page under Cookies.

No problem now viewing on Chrome or Firefox via PC or Mac. 

Phew.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Hussainpstu Collaborator | Level 8
    mufcmothy New member | Level 2
    iDamonJ New member | Level 2
    mwa7368 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?