cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files won't open in Chrome

Files won't open in Chrome

kiersten_s
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I click on files on the Dropbox website in Chrome, the page shows loading symbols, but then goes blank as soon as it finishes loading, and doesn't display the document, or even an error message. This happens with DOCX and PPT files, but not PDF (suggesting maybe it's an issue with the online editing part of the system?).

My files open correctly in other browsers.

Microsoft Word Online works fine with non-Dropbox files.

ETA: This worked fine until about a week ago it abruptly stopped working. I haven't added any plugins or changed any Chrome settings since then, although I have had a Windows update which I think may have lined up with when it stopped working? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kiersten_s
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After a whole run around where nobody was really sure what was going on, clearing my cache and cookies ended up solving the problem!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Celeste
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there, @kiersten_s!

As your files open correctly in other browsers, this sounds like it could be an issue with your Chrome browser settings as opposed to Dropbox. 

Have a look to see in case any add-ons or plug-ins are inhibiting the browser from opening certain files.

Equally, try Chrome in incognito/private browsing mode to see if that changes anything. 

Keep me posted, thanks!

Celeste
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

kiersten_s
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you!

I tried incognito mode and it still didn't work. 

Where would I look to see if something might be blocking it? That does seem like the most likely answer. I edited my original post to give a few more details about potential sources of setting changes.

Hschultz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having this same issue. Started last week.

Celeste
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Welcome to the thread @Hschultz, and thank you for the update @kiersten_s

Let's see what we can find!

Do the Chrome browsers have any pending updates that need to run, perhaps, after the OS update was run?

Could you also confirm if this happens only on Chrome, and only for .docx and .ppt files specifically? 

Let me know which OS update this was, as well, as that may help with looking into this further. 

Thanks in advance!

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

kiersten_s
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Chrome isn't showing any pending updates, and the browser has restarted multiple times since the issue began.

I opened files without a problem in Edge and Firefox, and also on Chrome on another computer.

DOC, JPG, JPEG and XLSX files open fine. Those are all the types I can find in my folders. (Also, I just realized I meant PPTX and not PPT as a file type that won't open - I don't have any PPT files to test.)

The update was Windows 10 version 1903.

Celeste
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update, @kiersten_s!

Is there any chance your Chrome browser has any other plug-ins or extensions (like an ad blocker or pop-up blocker) of any kind? 

Also, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal information) of what the browser preview looks like when you try to open a .pptx file? 

Thanks in advance!

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

kiersten_s
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a few Chrome extensions, but no ad or pop-up blockers and none that are new or have been updated recently.

The loading screen goes away faster than I can get a screenshot to go through, but it's two grey rectangles that go toward each other and then merge and the word "loading". Then after that the page goes entirely white. It doesn't show that I'm on Dropbox or anything, it's just the entire webpage below the URL bar is white.

Celeste
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see, @kiersten_s, thank you for the detailed update!

In order to look into this a bit deeper I have now reached out to you via email, to the email address associated with your Community profile. 

Keep an eye out for my email and send me a quick reply when you can, so that we can investigate further. 

Thanks in advance!

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

kiersten_s
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After a whole run around where nobody was really sure what was going on, clearing my cache and cookies ended up solving the problem!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kiersten_s New member | Level 2
    Celeste Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?