Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I have an issue with Smart Sync on Mojave. Can you help?

Helpful | Level 5

I badly need Smart sync to work and it simply doesnt. I have updatet to Mojave - Is this why?

When will you have an update ready for this? Thank you.

19 Replies

Re: Smart Sync Mojave

Dropboxer

Could you please provide a bit more info on this? What’s not working for you? Are you getting any errors? If so, could you please provide me with a screenshot (omitting personal info) so as to have a better understanding of this? 

Any additional details would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

When i right click a file and go to smart sync, it doesnt react when i click "online only" - i stays marked at "local"

Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @LarsAmazing. Could you please check what the Dropbox icon reads when you hover over it and send me a screenshot of it (excluding any personal info)? Thanks again! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Lusil,

I got it to work.

There was a setting on my mac preventing it to work. Thank you for your replies.

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @LarsAmazing! I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end. nerd face

If you have any other questions, just give me a shout. In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Lusil

New member | Level 2

Lars, 

I'm experiencing the same issue. How did you resolve it?

What settings did you change in Mojave?

New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue on Mojave. When i right-click a file and go to smart sync, it doesn't respond when I click "online only" - it stays marked as "local"

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @UFGator

As a first step, could you give a reinstallation of the desktop app a shot? Maybe that will do the trick.  

More information
To do this, first make sure you save and quit ALL programs that access files in the Dropbox folder and then:
  1. Download the newest version of the desktop app
  2. Stop Dropbox (if needed):
  • Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
  • Select the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select Quit Dropbox.
  1. Delete the desktop app from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action.
  2. Reinstall the desktop app.
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon.
  • Dropbox should appear in your menu bar. 
If the issue persists, it could be that, due to some processes on your computer that may look at files that you may not have manually opened, in order to fulfill those requests, Dropbox syncs the files. Examples of such include backup services, antivirus, recently used file lists or third-party applications that monitor files in general.

Although you should be able to turn local files into online-only by simply right-clicking on them and selecting the Smart Sync option, if there are apps that constantly/persistently look at your files, they may come back as local.

For this reason, I'd suggest, as a second step, to test this out by temporarily quitting or disabling apps systematically, until you see that the issue is resolved. The last app that you closed when the behavior in question no longer occurred may be the one performing this action.

If you’re still having trouble with this though, we’d have to move this discussion to email, in which case I can contact you directly to your email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Please let me know of any update and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks! slightly smiling face

Lusil

Explorer | Level 4

First of all, who on earth doesn't post the actual solution?

I got it to work.

There was a setting on my mac preventing it to work. Thank you for your replies.

What was it? 

The problem OP posted sounds like the problem I have here. I have a 15" MBP with macOS Mojave (10.14.5) here and I looked through the official Dropbox Guide for this, but it refers to High Sierra and it seems there is some new way this does not work properly on newer OSes.

Screenshot from DBs help database
Screenshot from my MBP
OS Version

What is wrong here and which further information would you need @Lusil to resolve that? Unistalling and then re-installing didn't help.

Thx in advance

Simon

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I have an issue with Smart Sync on Mojave. Can you help?
19 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post