cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
51 Comments
57 Likes
Level 1

Permanently delete

I can't Permanently delete files in the trash.
Help me please

51 Replies
Super User II

Re: Permanently delete

Why?

We need more info. What is said

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

I can't either. There are no options to permanently delete files in Web based Dropbox account. You can show hidden files that are in trash, but selecting them only allows you to restore not permanently delete. There are no "empty trash" options. Help does not cover the topic. An old video online shows how it was done via check boxes 4 years ago, but no check boxes exist today.

Note: I do not sync with any computers and only access via site.

Level 1

OK... Always happens after I post something about it, but I figured it out.

When showing hidden, deleted files by clicking on the trash can, you select the file by clicking on the line it is on but not on the file name itself. Then, a set of options pops up above it, where one allows you permanently delete it. If you end up on a new page with versions of the doc and an option to restore, then you clicked on the wrong place on the line.

Level 1

I have the same problem, Maybe your way was okay @Kim C. But many thing is changed now. Now i cant even see the deleted file. Only i can find them in events. But There is no option to delete. I accidentally uploaded something now i want to get rid of that badly. Any help would be really appreciated. Life saver.

Level 11

Level 1

Instructions to "Delete a file using the Dropbox website" just don't work for me.  The files were uploaded from my computer, not shared with anybody, then deleted.  When I visit the "Deleted Files" folder, there is no "action bar across the top of the file browser" and no box to check in front of the file name, no blank space after the file name.  There is no "administrator," I just installed Dropbox myself and can't find any settings about permanent deletion.

Level 4

Super User. Can you explain why I can not permanently delete a file that I deleted previously and sitting in the trash can in Dropbox. I know that within 30 days it will be automatically deleted from there but what if I don't want to let it sit there for 30 days. Thank you.

P.S - Kim. C your solution to delete that file doesn't work anymore. Very frustrating.

Level 1

I agree. The design of this part of the Dropbox website is completely unclear. There should be a simple "Clear trash" option. How it actually seems to work at the moment is this : to completely remove a file you have to go back to the *original* location the file is in, even though you can't now see it, click on the trash can icon near the top of the screen (second "row" down, called "Show deleted files"); this shows all the deleted files in that section of Dropbox, slightly greyed out, and with "deleted" at the right hand end of the line; once you are there, right click on the file and you should see an option to permanently delete the file. I hope that helps. Needs a design change.

Level 1

It works.  thank you so much

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post
  • David A.2
  • Steve P.36