Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Smart Sync Extension not Prompted for Download in Preferences

Level 3

So allow me to begin by saying that I am not in the preliminary stages of troubleshooting this issue.  I already successfully enabled Smart Sync on my laptop, so responses like: "have you quit Dropbox and rebooted the program?" are not helpful. Yes, I have tried that.

My intention is to enable Smart Sync on a desktop computer where I am running MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6).  I use the desktop app on this computer.  I have followed Dropbox directions to a tee. I run into an issue when preferences opens for the option to "Allow Apps Downloaded From..." and then something from Dropbox is suppose to prompt an "Allow" button like this: 

Allow system integration

But I'm never prompted with an option to "Allow" anything from Dropbox.  Shy of reinstalling the program (yeah, no thanks), I've tried to get Dropbox to communicate with System Preferences probably 50 times. 

Please help?  Is it possible I can just download the driver to the program?

11 Replies

Re: Smart Sync Extension not Prompted for Download in Preferences

Dropboxer
Hi @MitKate, thanks for the troubleshooting you did from your end and for the screenshot. Awesome work!

In order to have a better understanding of your concern though, could you elaborate a bit on this? For example:
  • Are you not seeing the Smart Sync options when you right click on content in your Dropbox folder? 
  • Are you by any chance getting any errors? 
Additionally, could you try reinstalling the desktop app as it is one of the troubleshooting steps necessary to narrow down our investigation?

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

I guess I could reinstall the program, but seeing as I work for myself and that's by the hour, are there any less time consuming options? 

To answer your questions: 

1. No, I'm not seeing the 'Smart Sync Option' when I right click because the extension never downloads. I've tried 15 times now and it does not download. 

2. No error messages. 

I continue to be prompted to "Finish Enable Smart Sync" - but when I select "Continue," system preferences never receives the message from Dropbox that it should install the extension.

Level 3

Official Dropbox help?  Are you out there?

Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info, @MitKate

I’d recommend giving the re-installation of the desktop app a try to ensure that we cover all initial troubleshooting steps.

If you’re still at a dead-end even after that, I can send you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile for a more in-depth investigation. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

I am incredibly frustrated and still without a solution to this problem.  

To recap, I have not been able to utilize the 'Smart Sync' feature included in my Dropbox plan and subscription.  I have gone through the directions provided by Dropbox step-by-step, multiple times.  I have restarted my computer. I have stopped syncing. I have quit applications and then tried again.   It never fails that when I get to the point that System Preferences opens, I am not prompted to 'Allow' Dropbox to download the extension that activates this feature. Simply nothing happens after the System Preferences window opens. 

Further, it appears that while troubleshooting this mattter, I downloaded a newer version of the desktop application. I previously accessed Dropbox files through a 'Finder' window, like this:

Dropbox in finder.jpeg 

Now I have the option above, as well accessing my files through an application that looks like this: 

DB image.jpeg

The Dropbox application shown immediately above operates very slowly on my computer.  Painfully slow.  That aside, I am at least given the 'Smart Sync' option when I right click on a folder or file within the application, rather than in the Finder window.   When I right click on a Dropbox folder/file within a finder window, no Smart Sync option is given. 

Please help!   Do you think that unlinking my computer (via these directions: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/unlink-relink-computer-mobile) will do anything?   

To note:

• I am not using a third party mouse or keyboard (I read the entire thread on this.)
  • I am not VPN/remote accessing to my computer.  I am using it directly. 
  • I am the administrator and only user of this computer.
  • I do not want to reinstall anything again. 

Are there any known issues with the new Dropbox application?  

Could it be that multiple methods to accessing Dropbox files is the issue?  Why can I select Smart Sync in the application, but nothing happens? 

Level 3

Well, unlinking and relinking my comptuer did nothing to help this situation.  Can someone please reach out to me?  I've spent HOURS UPON HOURS trying to fix this!

Banging my head against the wall for Smart Sync

Level 3

Please see my post:  https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Smart-Sync-Extension-not-Prompted-for-Download...

No one is helping me.  :(   I am beyond mad at Dropbox. 

Re: Banging my head against the wall for Smart Sync

Dropboxer

Hey there @MitKate - I just moved your post under your original thread to keep things neat around our Community and all the information of your case under one place.

As @Lusil just left the office, I'd like to help further from this point onwards.

If you don’t want to use the new file browser, you can continue to use the Dropbox folder in Finder (Mac) exactly as you did before. Also, you can ask Dropbox to open Finder or File Explorer instead of the new file browser by changing your Dropbox preferences. 

To return to using Finder or File Explorer as your default setting:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menu bar.
  2. Click your profile picture or initials in the upper right corner.
  3. Click Preferences….
  4. Click the dropdown next to Open folders in: and choose Finder or File Explorer.

Once you're done with this, can you check some things for me? 

1. Have you enabled Finder's Integration to begin with (found at: System preferences>Extensions >Finder Extensions)? 

2. What options do you get when you right click on your Dropbox files? 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation so far. 

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 

Re: Banging my head against the wall for Smart Sync

Level 3

THANK YOU for replying!  I literally have been knee-deep in trouble shooting this issue ALL DAY.  As a result, I haven't been able to even start work yet!

So I followed your directions and 'returned to using Finder as my default setting' as provided. 

Then I checked the things asked of you.  

Here is a screen shot of the Finder's Integration (I'm not even sure what that means, but here's a picture): 

Finder Extension in System Preferences.jpeg

2. Here are my right click options using the finder: 

Right Click Options.jpeg

Why is the application operating so slowly?  I can't attempt to do anything in it without the application window being hung on computer for an aggrivatingly long time.  There seems to be a lot of issues and maybe the program was pushed out too early....

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync Extension not Prompted for Download in Preferences
11 Replies
3 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post