Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Re: Dropbox apps asks for root password to work properly every time I start Mac OS

Explorer | Level 3

I have no open ticket yet, so feel welcomed to write to the e-mail address associated with this account.

Regards.

Re: Dropbox apps asks for root password to work properly every time I start Mac OS

Dropboxer

I've reached out to your email address @cob24, so please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

9/10/2019

I am removing DropBox from all my Apple devices due the simple reason that this is the only app I have that insists on asking for my SYSTEM password. Giving my system password essentially grants access to everything on my Mac. Dropbox has not exhibited this behavior until recently, and it is both annoying and scary. I am therefore moving my files to icloud [security is great, but otherwise not too friendly], instead of placing my computer data at risk when it has not been necessary until now.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Heh! I distinguised this problem 1,5 years ago.

Seems, nothing changed since that - NSA still wants full acces to our machines. 

I intend to move to another cloud too, but just  too lazy for that.  Providing main system password for Dropbox is too much of a breach in my personal privacy to my mind. God f_k NSA!

I would welcome advice of another could storage with comparable compatibility with different services.

Explorer | Level 3

me too ... no ansa / resolution from dropbox

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why Dropbox asks for a computer password upon each startup? (macOS HSierra, Mohave)
14 Replies
2 Likes