cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: An Official Client for Synology NAS Devices

An Official Client for Synology NAS Devices

bigsky
Helpful | Level 6

Hi all,

I use Dropbox daily and I love it. As a part of my current setup, I sync the entirety of my Dropbox folder to my Synology NAS device, in order to have all of my data available to me locally, through LAN (my laptop doesn't have enough disk space to allow for that), and to be able to copy the Dropbox data elsewhere to serve as a backup.

Right now, I'm using Synology's official application - Cloud Sync - to retrieve the Dropbox data. I believe it works quite well (it has some drawbacks), but it would NEVER be as reliable as an official app. Since the OS that powers Synology units - DSM - is Linux-based, I hope this suggestions is not too much, as there's already an official Dropbox Linux client.

Thanks!

31 Replies 31

michaeltuckerla
Explorer | Level 4

This would be HUGE. With all the working remotely going on, this would be such a huge win for video editors.

alex_loves_bass
Explorer | Level 3

This would be amazing for my workflow.

I run a Synology NAS in my studio which stays on overnight. I work in music and often get sent large ZIPs or multitracks through Dropbox. Alternatively I regularly sync ~400-500gb folders for entire ProTools projects. If I leave something like this syncing over night, it'd be SO much more beneficial for me to be able to then complete the local sync to my Mac over LAN rather than via WAN in the morning when I fire up the computer.

Pleeeease! An official Dropbox Synology app would be a huge advantage to me.

JoeSap
Explorer | Level 4

It would be great to have native support for a Dropbox app to run on Synology. I haven't tested CloudSync in this scenario, but it doesn't support Dropbox Business syncing a Team folder so it wouldn't work in my use case unless that feature is added. Would strongly prefer to have Dropbox release an app for Synology. Thank you!

retrovertigo
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, please, we need this right now! I'm tired of finding entire folders that have never been synced with Synology's Cloud Sync app.

ChristopherRussell
New member | Level 2

Yes please. I'm amazed that there isn't an official App already, given the popularity of both Dropbox and Synology brands.

Ipernicus
New member | Level 2

The fact that Synology want to be taken seriously as a business hardware and software producer does not balance with the fact that cloud synch does not not work with the business dropbox account. Given that we've invested 1000's insynology hardware and we can't swap that...I am about to move from Dropbox. A sad day...

tedhayes
New member | Level 2

Upvote for Synology to Dropbox functionality.

10,000+ photos and hundreds of family videos I have master copies of on my Synology NAS.  Would like to make available to my family on Dropbox, with Dropbox mirroring the changes I make on the NAS.  I'd do it directly from my NAS to the family, but my ISP limits upload speed to 10 mb even though I have 500 down.  

Emma
Community Manager

Thank you for your idea, this is not something the team are actively working on right now. We do regularly re-review and will update you if anything changes.

Jayse
Explorer | Level 4

Oh wow... we just upgraded to business 5T plan and yes - this is MUCH needed. Shocked it's not supported. Has me most likely switching to back blaze like everyone on Youtube is doing for this kind of thing. Then just keep a small dropbox plan I guess for family stuff and one time file transfers. 

Shame... Dropbox was the king! Been with them since they started.

Emma, I hope they will review this with fresh eyes in light of everyone working remotely now. The world has changed. Would be great if Dropbox kept up with it!

pafel
New member | Level 2

+1 love this idea.
Is would be really nice, if there is an official app.
At the moment we have a pc running, to sync the synology nas with dropbox over the windows desktop app.

Need more support?