cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Automatically updating images linked from Dropbox in Word

Automatically updating images linked from Dropbox in Word

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

Hey,

I am trying to create a document in word, which has a selection of images.

I would like to make it easier for me to edit the images in this document by using the the dropbox link and the "Insert field" feature in word.

However, I can't seem to get the image to update itself as the image it refers to in the Dropbox folder changes.

I've tried the dl.dropboxusercontent.com instead of www.dropbox.com fix and I am changing dl=0 to raw=1 to make it show as I had trouble with it in the beginning.

Any ideas?

14 Replies 14

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

Live support chat weren't really able to help.

So is there any 'Super Users' able to brainstorm some ideas?

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @Niels Jepsen, welcome to our Community! 

When you mention that you want to edit the content in the document by using the Dropbox shared links, can you let me know more as to what you have in mind? 

Would you wish to update the files in the Word document, and for the shared links to get automatically updated? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Megan,

I am looking for something similar to the method they are describing in this article: https://www.free-power-point-templates.com/articles/how-to-insert-automatically-updating-images-in-w...

You ask "Would you wish to update the files in the Word document, and for the shared links to get automatically updated?"

What I had in mind, after also reading that article, was to use Dropbox shared link to update the content in a Word file.

Let's say I have 100 different images in a Word file. Instead of me clicking on each image and manually changing it to another to update the content, then I would like figure out a way to host the images somewhere else and just link them into the Word file.
The as I would need to change some of the content, then I just replace the image in the folder and it gets updated automatically in the Word file the next time it opens. Dynamic content you could say.

Is this possible?

Rich
Super User II

@Niels Jepsen wrote:

...I just replace the image in the folder and it gets updated automatically in the Word file the next time it opens. Dynamic content you could say.

That's not really a function of Dropbox. Dropbox would only provide a link to the image (as you stated earlier, using ?raw=1). You can change the image in the folder and Dropbox will serve the updated image for the link you created, but it's up to Word to update your document. If it's not happening simply by replacing the image in Dropbox, then I'd reach out to Microsoft to see if they can tell you why Word won't update the links.

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Rich,

Yeah okay, so the link is not broken, if you update the image do another one? 

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

The link breaks, that's the problem.

How do I get the link to stay the same as the file is changed?

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @Niels Jepsen, as Rich mentioned I am afraid that isn't possible. 

If you need anything else, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Need more support?