cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not opening/ being recognized in Photoshop 2022

Files not opening/ being recognized in Photoshop 2022

jcapabianco
Explorer | Level 3

I use Adobe Photoshop 2022 often and suddenly it is not recognizing any of my dropbox files. I keep everything in dropbox and am not able to use them in photoshop. Does anyone know how to fix this issue???

This is happening with files of all types, abr, png, jpeg   

any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II

Are they SmartSync'd ?

If so you need to download them locally first and then open them. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

jcapabianco
Explorer | Level 3

I don't know if they are smart synced??   How can I figure this out. It really would be a pain to open the files first then open in photoshop. I hope I don't have to add another step. I do digital scrapbooking and this would really slow me down 😞

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jcapabianco, thanks for posting.

Are you on a paid Dropbox plan? When you right click a file, do you have an option to make it available offline by going to Smart Sync, Local?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

HippieChickTX
Explorer | Level 4

I can't access PhotoShop files from DropBox on my iMac but I can access them just fine on my MacBookPro. Both are running Monterey. The issue started with the Monterey upgrade.  I have the exact same DropBox settings on both computers. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @HippieChickTX, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please send us a screenshot of the desktop app's exact status as shown in your menu bar and one of the error you're getting when trying to access your Photoshop files? 

Also, are the files that giving you this error online only or locally available to your computer? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

HippieChickTX
Explorer | Level 4

Hi 

Thank you for your assistance. Actually it appears I can no longer open any files on DropBox from within PhotoShop. Which is very strange. I've always been able to. However, I did just upgrade to Monterey on both the iMac and MacBook. is this the issue? Other than that, nothing else has changed in my workflow. 
Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 4.31.53 PM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @HippieChickTX, sorry to jump in here. 

Can you clarify if you're only having this issue with files that are set to online-only? Or are you seeing the same behavior with files that are available offline as well?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

HippieChickTX
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah

Thank you for your reply.  I guess it's a DropBox and Monterrey issue. I read a bit from other users who are experiencing the same issue that I and others on this board seem to be having.  I can open older files (prior to upgrading to Monterrey) but I cannot open files since the update.  Sad because I waited almost a year before doing the upgrade thinking, or rather assuming all my software had upgraded. Disappointed to see that DropBox hasn't upgraded yet. 

I did get a confirmation on this from DropBox because I unsync'd DropBox and uninstalled and then reinstalled and logged in. There was a message on the setup letting me know there was an issue with online files opening.  Unsyncing helped with being able to add images via the Finder though. 

Fingers crossed DropBox will get this fixed soon because it's an invaluable tool to me and I loathe Google Drive. 

Langford57
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah

Sorry if you've already solved this but I suspect I have had exactly the same problem. I bought a new iMac having transferred all my photos onto Dropbox because part of the issue with my old Mac was that it was too full of photos. Then when I went to open any of the old photos I couldn't and every one of them seemed to have only 0 bytes rather than e.g. about 17mb for an average photo. By total chance I found that the solution that worked for me was to go 'Select All' and then 'Open with Preview'. Slowly they all started to reappear, first in the Preview Menu at the side and then in the relevant Adobe Bridge Folder . I have absolutely no idea why this works but it does for me.

Pat

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Langford57 Explorer | Level 3
    HippieChickTX Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?