cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration with iOs Files app dropping out

Integration with iOs Files app dropping out

Dmkiz
Explorer | Level 4

I am running an iPad Pro (3rd generation) with iOs 15.1, but I had the same problem with previous versions of iOs as well. I have two issues.

First, I have tried a number of times to add Dropbox folders as "Favourites" in the side bar. It works when I add them, but then later they just disappear.

Second, when trying to access my Dropbox files through the iOs Files app, the connection seems to periodically drop out. It works fine most of the time, but often I will try to load it and it just shows me a blank screen. I then have to leave it sitting there for about 10 minutes and eventually it reloads and takes me back to the home Dropbox folder. But during that time if I try to access Dropbox through the Files app it just doesn't load. Below is a screenshot of me trying to access Dropbox:

IMG_0085.PNG

66 Replies 66

Dmkiz
Explorer | Level 4

And here's a screenshot of what happens when it drops out:

IMG_0086.PNG

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Dmkiz, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Dmkiz
Explorer | Level 4

Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. I just got the same thing again:

IMG_0087.PNG

Jay
Dropbox Staff
It sounds like there might be a connection issue with the Dropbox site.

Do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Dmkiz
Explorer | Level 4

No I don't have a proxy or VPN. And I get the same problem on my home and work wifi networks and on mobile.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
It does appear to be an issue with the device itself in some way. I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

bsullens
Helpful | Level 5

I've been having the same problem for a very long time. It doesn't happen with any of the other cloud services I have set up in Files. Only in Dropbox. It doesn't happen when I use the Dropbox app itself. Only when I access Dropbox files through the Files app on my iPad. It is not just annoying, it prevents me from being able to do my job. All the files I need to edit are housed in Dropbox. I need to open the PDF documents in Files so I can handwrite feedback on them with my iPad and Pencil. When the connection drops, it can be up to 5 minutes before I can be productive again. That kills my ability to get all my work done. I wish someone would get this resolved!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey @bsullens, sorry to hear you're having issues with our integration with the Files app for iOS/iPadOS devices. 

Could you please let us know some additional information about the issue at hand?

For example, what is your device's OS and the version of our mobile app used on the affected devices? 

Does this happen when you're on cellular data, wifi or both?

Any additional information is more than welcome. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

bsullens
Helpful | Level 5

I'm using my iPad when this occurs. I honestly have not tried it on my iPhone because the reason I am opening these files in the Files app is for markup with the pencil.  My iOS version on the iPad is 15.2.1. This iPad does not have cellular capability, so it happens when I am connected to Wifi. I can force a fix by turning off Wifi for about 3-4 minutes, but I have no way of knowing if that is any faster than just waiting for it to fix itself in about that same amount of time. It interrupts my workflow and worst of all my rhythm when grading. Keeping that momentum going is critical for me to get it all done in the limited time we have to turn around grades and provide equitable feedback to each student. As a workaround, when the drop outs occur multiple times during a single grading session, I have moved all my files to a secondary cloud drive in a temporary folder. I finish my grading run from that cloud service without any interruption by lost connections, and then I move the files back into Dropbox to maintain a consistent location for all my student submissions. I do not like having my files in multiple places, even for a short period of time. The risk of forgetting where a set of files is located or ending up with multiple versions on different cloud services in different stages of completion is too great. I started with Dropbox before I added any other cloud storage services to my mix. The vast majority of my prep and grading records are there. It would be a huge project to completely switch all those files over to a different cloud service just because the connection keeps dropping out on the device I use to do my grading markup. I sincerely hope someone can help. If you need additional info, please let me know.

Barry

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    playzoffs New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Architetto D. Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?