cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

"Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Hey folks,

When viewing dropbox files from the Safari browser (Safari v 13.0) I can no longer see the "Show in Finder" or 'Open in Word" / "Open in Adobe Acrobat" options for files. 

I also have Chrome installed on my Mac (v77.0.3865.90) and I can confirm that these DO work on Chrome. See pics below.

These items used to show in Safari, however it seems that after updating to Safari v13.0 this has stopped working. 

Any ideas for resolution would be gratefully received as Safari is my default browser. 

Cheers,

Scott

Safari Browser.png

Chrome Browser 1.png

109 Replies 109

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Hello @KristinJoys ,

Thanks for reaching out. I am also a Dropbox Professional user and like you, I am reminded of this problem multiple times every day as I have to alter my workflow because of this issue. I started this thread a long time ago and never imagined for a moment that we would still be asking for a solution to this significant issue years later. 

Unfortunately despite having several interactions with the Dropbox team, the issue persists. When @Jay reached out recently seeking permission for Dropbox to make contact with us to work through the issue, I got hopeful of progress, however after just one email exchange I was advised that I should use Dropbox with Chrome rather than Safari and the "case" was closed before I could reply to indicate that using Dropbox with Safari was the issue we were trying to solve in the first place! 🤷‍:male_sign:

So it seems we are no further ahead....

All the best,

Scott

KristinJoys
Explorer | Level 4

Thank ever-so-much, Scott.

My challenge is that I can't get it to work with Safari OR Chrome, so my hands are really tied. Can I ask how you got it to work with Chrome? ☺️ 

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7
The problem is that with dropbox’s new redesign, the option ‘open in finder’ when previewing is gone as well in chrome. It’s unfortunate that Dropbox is choosing to deprecate such an efficient and workflow improving function.

It’s only an option in Dropbox.com’s list view by selecting the file, clicking on the three dots and the selecting ‘show in finder’.

KristinJoys
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @WildfireQueen 

Unfortunately I no longer have a "show in finder" option on Safari or Chrome (if I click on a shared file link). 

I use Dropbox constantly throughout the day and prefer using it in my Mac Finder (rather than my web-browser).

I have the app preferences set so that folders are suppose to open in finder (screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0r2cxxly0tzn72/Screen%20Shot%202021-12-19%20at%206.12.00%20PM.png). It sounds like some others here at least have a "show in finder" option on Chrome. I'd love for that to work for me (though Safari would be best) ☺️ 

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7
It used to be that, when clicking on a Dropbox link, it would open in Chrome in preview mode. Then you could click on ‘open with’ and ‘open in finder’ would’ve been an option. (I’m speaking from memory, so it might be a bit different haha). But with the redesign they’ve removed that as an option. Now you have to click on the arrow back, so Dropbox will show you the folder the file’s in in list-view (on Dropbox.com still). There you have to select your file and click the three dots. Then you’ll have the option to ‘show in finder’. So still usable, but it takes more clicks and thus is way less efficient than before.

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7
As far as I know it’s not possible to open links in finder directly, if that is what you meant.

KristinJoys
Explorer | Level 4

This is so helpful @WildfireQueen, unfortunately it doesnt work for me in Chrome (or Safari). 

I used the screenshot link I sent you to create this new screenshot showing the options I get in Chrome when use the back arrow to navigate to the folder and then click on the 3 dots: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gwb1h5uii88x8v/Screen%20Shot%202021-12-19%20at%206.42.15%20PM.png

Do you know what I might be doing wrong? 😬

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7

That is strange, I do have the option to 'show in finder' in that view, with the same settings. For me it doesn't matter if it's a personal dropbox or business one. And which of the two options of three dots you click on doesn't matter either (in the file row like you do, or in the menu on top with a file selected as I've shown below).

It should be below 'version history'... :

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 11.20.02.png

dgreeney
Helpful | Level 6

I can also confirm that in Chrome on my M1 Mac, the "Open" and "in Finder" options are *only* available from the List View of the entire folder.  The fact that in the unique Dropbox link for the actual file you have to click "Open" and then "Go to Folder" and *then* click the three button dropdown (in either location in the List), and *then* click "Open", and *THEN* select "Finder" is utterly absurd.  Any one of us can use Spotlight Search or Alfred to find these files far faster.

I haven't yet installed the new beta version of the Dropbox native M1 app to see if this brings back any of these options, but my guess is that it won't.  It seems when Dropbox finally giveth, it also taketh away.

KristinJoys
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for confirming I'm not alone in this @dgreeney ... but sorry it's not working for you either 😔 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    steveohm33 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    eyeforty New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?