cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Latest news

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox for Teachers and January Privacy Agreement

Dropbox for Teachers and January Privacy Agreement

NHStringStudio
New member | Level 2

So I have a general question:

Now that Dropbox has clarified that it "may only be used by those over 13 in the United States," how does this affect teachers who are using the platform to house student files and recordings that the students have access to?

I run an orchestral strings program where each student gets tailored, annotated photos of sheet music as reminders of what we discussed in class, as well as play-along recordings and practice videos. For the most part, they are required to use a parent or family email that parents have access to for their communication and dropbox files, but they do access they folders on their own if given permission by their parents. Occasionally, I ask parents to help them film an musical excerpt or to submit music that they need help with in other organizations. Nearly 70% of my studio is under 13, but they access through parent emails.

As a teacher of children under 13, should I plan to switch platforms for housing interactive student projects where the students access their work via Dropbox? They are likely using their parents' email.

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox for Teachers and January Privacy Agreement

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @NHStringStudio, To use the Dropbox services, users must be at least 13 if you reside in the United States, and 16 if you reside anywhere else.

You can share links to files and folders so that they can access them without Dropbox accounts. However, they won't be able to have their own Dropbox accounts to share folders directly.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?