cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Latest news

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates Coming to the Folder Link Sharing Experience

Updates Coming to the Folder Link Sharing Experience

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager
Dropbox is moving to an updated shared link architecture where links are based on the content being shared rather than on the user doing the sharing.  This new content-based link architecture is already in place for edit access links to folders and newly created links to files, and can be identified by the presence of an ‘rlkey’ parameter in the URL.  

Over the next few months, we’ll round out the shared link portfolio by bringing this new architecture to newly created view-only access folder links, or view folder links for short.

With this transition we’re maintaining all the core functionality our users love about sharing with links, while making it even easier for content owners, collaborators, and team admins to manage their shared content easily and with confidence.

New Features Coming to View Folder Links

Recipients will now be able to Join Folder as a view-only member by visiting the link.  While the previous link types only allowed recipients to view and save static copies of shared folders, users that Join Folder will be able to see live changes and updates as they happen, all from their own Dropbox.

Shared link controls allow Dropbox Professional, Standard, Advanced, and Enterprise customers to disable this capability in link settings.

Updates to Link Sharing

Only Two Centralized Links per Item

Securing your content and managing your shared links is now easier and simpler than ever.  Basing links on the content being shared means there will never be more than one single edit and one single view link for each file or folder.  Changing the settings on these links will universally apply to everyone with link access to that content.  Because all collaborators on a piece of content share the same link, a change is that only content members with edit access are able to modify shared link settings or delete a shared link.

URL Format Change

Part of the new link architecture is the addition of an rlkey parameter.  Query parameters are anything following “?” in a URL.  It is this rlkey parameter which grants access to the content, and removing it will require visitors to sign in and request access.  Visit this forum to read more about the new format, or this Help Center Article for details on forced downloads.

Third Party Application Dependencies

Due to the change in URL format you may notice some third party applications, websites, and custom programs that rely on pasting in a Dropbox link no longer function as expected.  We have limited insight or influence on these third party use cases, but if you do experience issues, please contact Dropbox support or visit this community forum thread on this subject.

Enhancing the Link Sharing Experience

Quick, simple, stress-free file sharing is core to the Dropbox experience.  Content-based links makes it even easier to share files securely and effortlessly in real-time, and we are excited to bring these benefits to all users across our full portfolio of shared links.   

If you have more questions, or find yourself needing support during this transition, please visit our Community Forums, reference our Help Center, or contact Dropbox Support.

8 Replies 8

David B.191
Helpful | Level 5
@JasonSilverDBX wrote:

Enhancing the Link Sharing Experience

Quick, simple, stress-free file sharing is core to the Dropbox experience.  Content-based links makes it even easier to share files securely and effortlessly in real-time, and we are excited to bring these benefits to all users across our full portfolio of shared links.   

Adding the long string of characters after the "rlkey=" argument makes the shareable URL so long that it wraps to a second line. In many people's e-mail clients, that breaks the link.

This change DOES THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF "enhancing the link-sharing experience." 😕 

Kandg
Helpful | Level 6

how do I remove annoying black pop up box with instructions on how to use sharing?

mimievarts
New member | Level 2

Since Monday this pop up keeps coming up on mine & my co-workers Dropbox. 

You can't click out of it, to make it go away you have to click next, which leads to another "choose how to share" popup that wont go away unless you press "got it".

It happens every time I go into a new folder and its sooo annoying. I've used Dropbox for years, I know how to share the folder. 

How do we make this go away? Or is this a bug?

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 2.54.43 PM.png Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 2.52.48 PM.png

David B.191
Helpful | Level 5

Can you provide some context?

What sequence of actions causes this "black pop up box" to appear, and where?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Kandg & @mimievarts, thanks for bring this to our attention! 

At the moment it's not possible to entirely remove it, unless you click "Got it",  but your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product. 

Always here for you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kandg
Helpful | Level 6

I'm having the exact same problem!  Very frustrating!

Kandg
Helpful | Level 6

When you click got it it comes up again with the next document you open.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Happy Monday to all of you guys! 

Our team did the best that it could and worked on the reports you guys provided. 

This should be now fixed. Provided you still face the same thing on your end, don't hesitate to let us know, in order for us to have a closer look into this. 

Thanks everyone! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Kandg Helpful | Level 6
    David B.191 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?