Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

7 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 3

Excel file not visible in app

I uploaded a new excel file in the app and it is visible on the web Dropbox but not in the app. On the website, it shows the file in the folder it is supposed to be in. I have since uploaded other files and they are visible. the folder is shared and I am the owner. Tips/tricks on how to fix this?

7 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Excel file not visible in app

Hey there (@jnail78), if you don't mind me asking, are you experiencing this issue on your desktop or on your phone? 

If the former, then a very quick pointer would be excluding the possibility of a syncing issue (i.e. I’m just saying so, as there was an update yesterday that you could have missed). Please make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the Dropbox application (64.4.141), you’ve made all OS updates & the app displays an Up-To-Date message on your menu bar/ system tray. 

If the latter (& you’re working on your phone), can you let me know whether you’re having any pending OS updates? Also, are you running the latest version of our app (124.2)? 

Once I have this info, I’ll try to address your initial inquiry in a bit more detail. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting on the matter & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion. Until we talk again, I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Hi Jane,

This is a desktop issue.

I just upgraded the desktop app as I was first trying to fix the problem, so I am running 64.4.141. The info in the system tray says it is up to date. It also shows the file in question.

There are no outstanding OS updates.

What do I do next?

Dropboxer

If everything is working correctly @jnail78, you should be able to see your files updating from your desktop to your account online. Once fully synced, they should populate your Homepage, where all your recently uploaded files should be displayed. From there, your newly synced content should also appear on your mobile account on your phone as well. Do you see them there? 

Please let me know here & I’ll follow-up with you a bit more closely on this discussion. Thanks again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

The file in question does appear on my homepage on the Dropbox web site, and is in the folder where it should be. It also shows that it is shared. But it does not appear in my desktop app Dropbox. All folders in my desktop app have a green check mark -- indicating they are synched, correct?

Dropboxer

Thanks a lot for this update here (@jnail78) & confirming that the file is updating correctly on your account online. I’d suspect that there’s an incompatible character in the folder, so I’d recommend using Dropbox's "Bad Files Check" webpage to determine which files are not syncing due to this discrepancy. In most cases you should be able to resolve the incompatibility by simply renaming the file. (Extra tip: Here’s a list of known incompatibilities and illegal characters.) 

Hopefully this is helps you resolve this syncing discrepancy & please do let me know how you get on with this suggestion on this discussion!

Jane

Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion. Ran the bad files check and got this response: "We didn't find any files or folders in your Dropbox that will cause syncing problems." The name of the file is "MIPL UtilUseCost HOW 2019.xls". I don't see any bad characters in there....what else?

Dropboxer

Thanks a lot for your ongoing cooperation (@jnail78)! I’d like to dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your current filestructure through our Official Support channel. So as to look into the matter having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Missing files and folders.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post