cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video quality during playback only low res why ?

SOLVED
62 Comments
44 Kudos
Highlighted

Video quality during playback only low res why ?

I just upgraded my account pro plus and it appears to me playback quality online seems low res.

The file dowloads full resolution and looks great but not during playback online thru dropbox. Is there a setting for this?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Video quality during playback only low res why ?

Hi all,

Just wanted to thrown in an explanation about video preview quality. Dropbox actually transcodes several versions of your video for you with different level of quality. Depending on your internet connection at the time of the request, Dropbox will serve the preview in the most appropriate quality. We don't want to serve a very high quality preview if you are on a flaky internet connection because it would take a very long time for the video to buffer. This is why if you're on a slow internet connection, you may see a lower quality preview.

Like Mark also pointed out before, please keep in mind that these are only previews of your videos. Happy to take your feedback back to our product managers and let them know you'd appreciate having a banner/button asking the recipient to download in order to get the file in its original quality.

Best,

Sofia

62 Replies

The video quality plays lower resolution thru dropbox too.

Super User

The web player delivers a transcoded, browser-
friendly fifteen minute preview.

To view a video in its original full-length HD
glory, it's necessary do download and play
locally.

Yes just found some other information and not too happy that you can't play full resolution thru Dropbox.

However my Vimeo account has no problem to view full resolution even while online. Dropbox should really consider a way to view
the view full res video files thru Dropbox. Kinda a buzz kill as I just upgraded for a year mainly for video purpose.

Super User

The bottom line is, Vimeo and Dropbox are not comparable services.

The former is a video streaming service, the latter a file synchronisation tool.

Best advice is to use the correct tool for the job.

You are correct However I have some clients that would preffer to use dropbox so I was trying to appease them.
I would rather have know this first, this just adds another step for my process.

Level 1

I have the same problem. I was thinking about upgrading but the poor quality playback of video files that are 1080p playing poorly through Dropbox makes me reconsider.

Will Dropbox be thinking of ways to allow high resolution streaming?

If your going to do something, might as well make sure its done well. Not much point having the ability to play videos if the quality is going to be poor.

Super User

Will Dropbox be thinking of ways to allow high resolution streaming?

Dropbox don't reveal their product roadmap, but if I were to hazard a guess I'd think not.

Dropbox have never given any indication they wish to be a content streaming platform, which is what that would steer them towards. Add the fact of bandwidth being a major cost factor to the company, a cost burden which would increase significantly if they chose to adopt higher quality streaming. All in all, I just don't see it.

Level 1

I work as an animator and what I and everyone working with film uses dropbox for is quick sharing of video previews. highres video streaming would be very helpful for us. If a competitor got highres previews we'd probably leave dropbox.

Level 2

Please Please. The video quality is so bad that I am ashamed to send the link to clients. 

It would be great if the qualitiy would be improved - even just a little bit. Also audio is very crappy. 
On google Drive you can play videos in full resolution!
I'm shure dropbox can find a way.