cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move photos into folders?

How to move photos into folders?

Steve W.33
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello How do I move photos from my camera upload folder to another folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@suemc wrote:
... it only works if the images are already in the "files" section. These photos I want to move to folders are from a camera upload and are in the photos section.

The Photos section isn't a separate area where photos are stored. Photos just shows you ALL of the photos that are in your account, from all folders. You can't move things out of Photos because it's just a way to view all of the photos in your account. Instead, you need to find the photos in the Files section and move them to the folders that you want them in. Any photos that are automatically uploaded to your account would usually be found in the Camera Uploads folder. It's from this folder (or others) that you would move them.

This is the same as using the Photos page on the Dropbox website, though the website also includes an option to "show in folder" so you can easily move from a photo on the Photos page to the folder that it resides in.

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Open your dropbox folder (on your computer), select files, cut 'em, move to other folder and past 'em.

Lifestyle S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi sorry I am trying to do the same thing as Steve W, do you mean to move to another folder i have to cut and paste them?

Trinity C.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Drag - n-dropt should do it.

Mindy F.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi! Is this only possible to do on the desktop version? I have been searching for a way to move my recently uploaded photos to specific folders but I'm not able to do so in the web version.

David R.61
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

None of this seems to work. I want to move some photos to a shared file folder and can't figure it out. Drag and drop doesn't work. Neither does copy and paste. Please advise.

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

In a PC where you have your Dropbox and the photos you want to move:

• locate the photos
  • select all the photos you want to move
  • use Cut / Paste.

You can use drag and drop as well.

When the photos are moved from one Dropbox folder to another Dropbox folder,  Dropbox will sync only the location. This will take just few seconds (perhaps a couple of minutes) so Dropbox will be able to update index.

If you move photos (or files) from a Non Dropbox folder to Dropbox, files needs to be uploaded to the cloud. Upload time depends on the amount of photos you want to upload, the size of the photos, your Internet connection speed, your settings (upload speed limit) and other hardware factors.

Having your photos on Dropbox is a great way to share it between your devices or share it with family and friends. 

From time to time, backup your Dropbox content and important data to DVD, USB, NAS or HDD for data protection.

David R.61
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks for the speedy reply, but I guess that only works for PC, certainly not for Mac, sad to say.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Will work for Mac too, but the dropbox client must be running.  Using web page www.dropbox.com/home you can click on space beside filename and a "move" appears at the top (c.f. 'more').

David R.61
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you! That works, but this is a remarkably difficult process. Just to get this far took a lot of time and now I am faced with two very daunting issues: 1) choosing each shot is near impossible as the image is so small in this way; and 2) once I move them to another file they disappear from this one. There needs to be an elegant way to place a number of photos in one file into another. My needs are simple: I have a lot of uploaded photos and would like to share a portion of them with specific friends in another file that they can add photos to as well. I can't be the only person who thought of this. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Amos T. New member | Level 2
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
    Vivian M.5 New member | Level 1
    Sue E.6 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?