cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding extra space to a professional account without upgrading to business

mdlthomson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am currently a professional account holder with 3TB of storage space, I am 500GB away from running out of space. As a creative I work with large file sizes and I was looking to upgrade to get a few more TB of storage. 

My only option is to upgrade to a Business Account, which would be fine, however you need to have a minimum of 3 licences which makes it very expensive for 2 extra TB which the Standard packages offers, I use the dropbox transfer tool almost every day so ideally I would be on the Advanced plan so I have have the same transfer limit of 100GB transfer limit which I get with Professional.

Currently I pay around £15 per month for my package, currently if I want 2TB extra I would need to pay £30 per month and get less services than I do now or £45 per month to get what I really need. which is an increase of £30 per month which is excessive. 

Why doesn't Dropbox allow to increase storage space without needing to but licences which are not needed.

As a long term customer of over 10 years who uses the service every day I am getting to a point where will need to make a decision to leave Dropbox and go to an alternative provider of which there are many to to choose from. 

For example: -
IDrive offer 10TB for $3.98 a month
pCloud offer 10TB for $3.95 a month

I need to do more research on this but Apple, Google and probably Amazon will offer similar services, the only thing stopping me at the moment is the hassle of transfering all my data across. But I will do it if needed.

Please Dropbox you are currently alienating what will be a big proportion of your loyal customer base. 

Sort it out!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@mdlthomson wrote:

Go to your Plan page and look for a section titled Available add-ons. Do you see something that looks like this?

ce0890e1bddada9245a9584b23c4bc10.png

It may not be available to all accounts yet, as Dropbox tends to roll these things out gradually over time.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@mdlthomson wrote:

Go to your Plan page and look for a section titled Available add-ons. Do you see something that looks like this?

ce0890e1bddada9245a9584b23c4bc10.png

It may not be available to all accounts yet, as Dropbox tends to roll these things out gradually over time.

mdlthomson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Rich, that solution works, surprised customer services didn't tell me about that. 
I don't have to leave dropbox after all. 

😁

cheezeejazz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for the post. I can't see this upgrade option but it's exactly what I need - what kind of account do you currently have? (Personal or business etc?) Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@cheezeejazz wrote:

I can't see this upgrade option but it's exactly what I need - what kind of account do you currently have? (Personal or business etc?)

I have a personal account on the Professional plan.

cheezeejazz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks for that

OmarSerafini
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Two questions on the matter ...
1) In my panel - as of today 17 August 2022 - I still do not see the possibility of subscribing to the additional space: will the option be activated in the future?
2) I am paying for my plan through Apple: does this make it impossible to subscribe to the additional space?
Thanks in advance for the answers!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@OmarSerafini wrote:

1) In my panel - as of today 17 August 2022 - I still do not see the possibility of subscribing to the additional space: will the option be activated in the future?

If it hasn't yet been rolled out to everyone, it likely will in the future.

2) I am paying for my plan through Apple: does this make it impossible to subscribe to the additional space?

That's likely why you can't yet see it, assuming it has rolled out to everyone. Such options usually aren't available through in-app purchases. If that's indeed the case, you would need to cancel your subscription through Apple, wait for your account to downgrade back to Basic (at the end of your billing period) and then re-upgrade through the Dropbox website. You should then see the option available, again assuming that it has already rolled out to everyone. I don't know that part for certain.

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Same issue here!

"I am currently a professional account holder with 3TB of storage space, I am 500GB away from running out of space. As a creative I work with large file sizes and I was looking to upgrade to get a few more TB of storage."

Not only you need the extra useless 2 licenses with Business vs. Pro (which I wouldn't care too much if it worked smoothly, and even if it is extra money because it's UNLIMITED STORAGE PLAN so that'd be still VERY INTERESTING but only without the useless 3-user system), but what's most annoying, they force you to recreate another Dropbox 3-user repository folder system (it doesn't smoothly sync with your Pro business) which simply is a total mess. So I can't re-sync my 8TB+ in a second, which defeats the point (my Macbook got stuck because I would have needed twice as much space - a 16TB internal SSD disk on my Macbook Pro, which doesn't exist as of 2023, in order to proceed and sync between the Pro and the Business Dropboxes).

"Currently I pay around £15 per month for my package, currently if I want 2TB extra I would need to pay £30 per month and get less services than I do now or £45 per month to get what I really need. which is an increase of £30 per month which is excessive. "

Like you perfectly described the pricing doesn't make sense at all either.

"Why doesn't Dropbox allow to increase storage space without needing to but licences which are not needed."

THIS PLEASE DROPBOX FIX IT INDEED

"As a long term customer of over 10 years who uses the service every day I am getting to a point where will need to make a decision to leave Dropbox and go to an alternative provider of which there are many to to choose from."

Same here, I'm a video creative + mixing engineer + other IT project manager working with clients. My life depends on running seamlessly and in real time multiple backup systems both physical (TimeMachine, Carbon Copy Cloner) and cloud (DROPBOX of course) because my revenue streams depend on it and so do my clients. I cannot afford to not have a cloud system backing my 8-16TB of disk space into a SINGLE CLOUD SPACE in real time.

"For example: -
IDrive offer 10TB for $3.98 a month
pCloud offer 10TB for $3.95 a month"

The thing is I've tried these services offering more space but they're not cloud systems like Dropbox, which is very fast and highly effective in indexing files and folders in real time. The only problem of Dropbox is its lack of FLEXIBILITY in the plans and out-of-date space storage capacities. Seriously who needs only 2/3/4TB max today on a Personal/Pro plan, when any PC or Macbook comes with like 8TB of internal SSD??? And probably more (12TB etc.) in the year to come. When we use 2-10GB/sec internet connections, and 500MB-1GB/sec 5G mobile phones???

"Please Dropbox you are currently alienating what will be a big proportion of your loyal customer base. 

Sort it out!"

INDEED SORT IT OUT DROPBOX, MAKE YOUR PRODUCT GREAT AGAIN PLEASE

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@shinbeth wrote:

Like you perfectly described the pricing doesn't make sense at all either.

You're getting much more with a Business license over a personal account. Extra space and other features aside, you also get access to additional support resources, including phone support. You're not just paying for more space.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

shinbeth Experienced | Level 13
    Benjamin Gordon Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?