cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Adding extra space to a professional account without upgrading to business

Adding extra space to a professional account without upgrading to business

mdlthomson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am currently a professional account holder with 3TB of storage space, I am 500GB away from running out of space. As a creative I work with large file sizes and I was looking to upgrade to get a few more TB of storage. 

My only option is to upgrade to a Business Account, which would be fine, however you need to have a minimum of 3 licences which makes it very expensive for 2 extra TB which the Standard packages offers, I use the dropbox transfer tool almost every day so ideally I would be on the Advanced plan so I have have the same transfer limit of 100GB transfer limit which I get with Professional.

Currently I pay around £15 per month for my package, currently if I want 2TB extra I would need to pay £30 per month and get less services than I do now or £45 per month to get what I really need. which is an increase of £30 per month which is excessive. 

Why doesn't Dropbox allow to increase storage space without needing to but licences which are not needed.

As a long term customer of over 10 years who uses the service every day I am getting to a point where will need to make a decision to leave Dropbox and go to an alternative provider of which there are many to to choose from. 

For example: -
IDrive offer 10TB for $3.98 a month
pCloud offer 10TB for $3.95 a month

I need to do more research on this but Apple, Google and probably Amazon will offer similar services, the only thing stopping me at the moment is the hassle of transfering all my data across. But I will do it if needed.

Please Dropbox you are currently alienating what will be a big proportion of your loyal customer base. 

Sort it out!

21 Replies 21

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

@Rich I don't care about phone support, I never needed it over 10 years using Dropbox. I don't pay a Cloud to speak to people over the phone. I already have a phone carrier lol (see the irony here)

Read again my many posts. I would pay for Business if it didn't create a 3-user repository system. ONLY IF IT ALLOWED ME TO SEAMLESSLY TRANSITION FROM MY CURRENT 3/4TB PRO SITUATION TO XX/UNLIMITED SITUATION without creating this Business BS and /Dropbox folder mess.

Just extend the Pro plan with more storage Dropbox come on.

boudist
Explorer | Level 4

I've almost maxed out the 3TB of storage in my Professional plan. Looking at other plans, the only possible option with more space is a 3 user team account - which is not what I need or want, and is way more money for functionality I don't need.

I'm a photographer and use Dropbox to archive all my work I deliver to clients. As the years go on my storage requirements are only going to grow. But I don't need the multiple user team account. I just need more storage.

Does dropbox offer this and i'm missing it somewhere?  Google drive offers tiered upgrades up to 30TB. Unless dropbox does the same I'll have to migrate everything.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @boudist, thanks for y our feedback about our Professional plan, I'll make sure to pass it on to our team.

In the meantime, you can up-vote this idea, to show your support.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Benjamin Gordon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi.

It seems after talking with the dropbox support team many times and looking online that I'm not the only one frustrated with the lack of add-on space within dropbox. The max you can go to as an individual is 3TB and you have to sign up for the teams (minimum 3 accounts) if you want more than 5TB of space.

Seems like dropbox are missing a trick here.

Any ideas if they are planning on introducing something like this soon?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Benjamin Gordon, thanks for taking the time to post here.

You can up-vote this idea to show your support and if you have any questions, let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution
So Apple just released a 6TB and 12TB plan.

Happiest day of my life, to finally be able to ditch Dropbox after unsuccessfully requesting an increase in capacity for my Pro plan, for almost 2 years now.

I hope as many Dropbox employees as possible will get laid off, you really deserve it for being so useless during this time in addressing our needs 🙂

Bye!

Icemanx1959
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
If Dropbox would upgrade their free storage like apple ( 50gbs ) then maybe it will be used because people doesn’t have the money to buy or give away for storage this is why I don’t use Dropbox anymore if you would up the storage space that will help a lot of people that can’t afford to buy storage space

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Icemanx1959 wrote:
If Dropbox would upgrade their free storage like apple ( 50gbs ) then maybe it will be used because people doesn’t have the money to buy or give away for storage this is why I don’t use Dropbox anymore if you would up the storage space that will help a lot of people that can’t afford to buy storage space

Companies like Apple and Google that offer more free space have other parts of their business that offset those costs. Apple has their hardware revenue, Google has their ad revenue. The profits they earn from those other sources of revenue allow them to offer more storage for free, as an incentive to spend money on their other services. Dropbox only has their storage revenue.

You can earn more free space through referrals and other bonus programs.

Benjamin Gordon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
agreed. i’m off to apple too

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

"You're getting much more with a Business license over a personal account. Extra space and other features aside, you also get access to additional support resources, including phone support. You're not just paying for more space."

As I said, I'm not interested in those extra features. Also, it creates a 3-user folder system that messed up my regular Pro folder structure, so I stopped the Business trial and am not interested in the Business offer.

I solely want to keep my Pro 3TB + 1TB extra account. But I need 10TB so please allow for more storage (Google Drive offers up to 30TB on individual storage for the same price as Dropbox ++)

Need more support?