cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading Account After Paying for Annual Plan Immediately Restricts Account Features???

Downgrading Account After Paying for Annual Plan Immediately Restricts Account Features???

drewsouth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The auto-renewal for my annual plan just went through today.  I forgot to cancel auto-renew, so that's on me (Dropbox seems to be one of the few remaining subscription services that doesn't send a reminder email prior to the auto-renewal, which makes for a less than stellar customer experience, but that's an issue for a different post).

The bigger issue is that, according to the pages I clicked through to see about cancelling my account, Dropbox will immediately restrict access to my already paid-for features, while at the same time denying refunds?  Companies aren't allowed to accept customer money while denying said customer access to the services the money paid for.

So, for clarification, if I cancel my account (on the same day the auto-renewal processed), will I actually lose access to some/all of the services I just paid for?

Any help is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@drewsouth wrote:

Dropbox seems to be one of the few remaining subscription services that doesn't send a reminder email prior to the auto-renewal

They do send reminder emails. I've received one every year about one month prior to my renewal.

Dropbox will immediately restrict access to my already paid-for features, while at the same time denying refunds?

No, that's not accurate. When you cancel a subscription, all you're cancelling is the automatic renewal. You'll retain your account benefits until your next billing period, at which point your account will be downgraded to the Basic plan.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@drewsouth wrote:

Dropbox seems to be one of the few remaining subscription services that doesn't send a reminder email prior to the auto-renewal

They do send reminder emails. I've received one every year about one month prior to my renewal.

Dropbox will immediately restrict access to my already paid-for features, while at the same time denying refunds?

No, that's not accurate. When you cancel a subscription, all you're cancelling is the automatic renewal. You'll retain your account benefits until your next billing period, at which point your account will be downgraded to the Basic plan.

drewsouth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You're absolutely right.  I searched my inbox again, and there was a reminder email, unopened.  I guess I got busy and forgot about it.

Thanks for the assist.

Limehouse
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is so rubbish - why do they continue to charge you for the whole month when you need to be actively adding and removing users.  They charge immediately for adding them, so they could immediately remove the cost of a user at the time you remove.  Everyone else, frame.io (much better service), slack (slack even doesnt charge if not active so even dont need add and remove all the time). Sucks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Limehouse New member | Level 2
    drewsouth New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?