cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cancelled my free trial, but I was still charged

I cancelled my free trial, but I was still charged

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

I decided to try out Dropbox, so I went for the 30-day free trial. Once that ended, I never upgraded my plan, because as of now I don't use it that often. Anyway as of May 25, I was charged "$139.00" from Droppbox. I was confused because I never renewed anything, and made sure to cancel my 30-day subscription before the time was up. 

I looked at my billing account on Dropbox and it said "There were no recent transactions" and looked at what plan I had. It said I had the basic plan, but the basic plan isn't even $139.00 yearly or even monthly. The basic plan is $119 yearly and $9.99 monthly even with the tax, where does the $139 come from? 

I tried to dispute this transaction with my bank but my bank said that I needed to take it up with the company, (whichever that means.) I don't know who to contact because, on the Dropbox website, they're no clear email or phone number. 

I just want my money back, because as of now I'm unemployed and that $139 could have helped me. The worst part is, is that I don't even need to use Dropbox anymore, because last month I needed it for a project. So why am I being charged for something I don't even use? 

22 Replies 22

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ensaine, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

As you don't see any payments on your account, did you upgrade to the trial via the Dropbox site directly, or via the mobile app? 

According to your bank statement, were you charged by Dropbox, iTunes or Google Play?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

Originally, last month I went on my my desktop computer and went on the Dropbox website and applied for the 30-day free trial. This morning, I checked my bank statement and it said a transaction was made for "$139.00" from Dropbox. I never made this transaction I wasn't even on my computer on May 25th, when the transaction was made to Dropbox. 

After finding this out, I was in shock so I went on my Dropbox account and it said I was on the basic plan, which I never signed up for. Even then, the basic plan yearly ain't even 139 so where did the 139 come from? 

I tried disputing the transaction with my bank, but they said to dispute it with the company. I don't even know if this is possible but on your end, you can even look into my account, I haven't used Dropbox in a while, so I don't even know where this transaction of $139 came from. None of the plans listed for Dropbox has a $139 fee not even some of the advanced plans, so I don't even know what is happening.

Thank you for responding quite urgently to my message, I appreciate it because I would like to be a returning customer, I only wanted to try the 30-day free plan because I wanted to see if I'd like it.

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

I forgot to link my email in that post [email removed as per Community Guidelines]

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ensaine, thanks for the info! 

A Basic account is definitely free, so it sounds like the charge might be linked to a different Dropbox account. Could that be the case? 

If these payments are made through a credit card, you should be able to use our payment lookup tool, to find out the email associated with the paid account.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

I only have one Dropbox account. I tried to look at the payment lookup tool and it won't tell me the email associated with the payment. 

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry for the confusion, it did tell me the email and it's under my email which is correct, but I never made any purchases. It said I made a purchase for "Dropbox Plus for $131.27" But if you look at my Dropbox account I'm still on the basic plan. Is it possible I got charged as a renewal fee 

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

According to my account, I'm still on the basic plan, but apparently, there was a charge for the Dropbox Plus plan, but my account is still on the basic plan, so I don't even understand how that's possible

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

This has to be a joke. This morning I got an email to upgrade to the Plus plan. When I was falsely billed a plus plan, which makes no sense. Because on my Dropbox account, it still said I'm still on the basic plan, which makes no sense. account.jpegaccount1.jpeg
billing.jpgunnamed-3.jpg

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ensaine, I can see in one of the photos that you posted, that you have the transaction ID associated with the payment.

If you've tried searching for it and it doesn't give you an email address, can I send you an email, so we can investigate further?

Perhaps it's an account you forgot you had, or mistakenly created and upgraded.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ensaine Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?