cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Personal and Business accounts - Account types?

Linking Personal and Business accounts - Account types?

devynosborne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I searched the help and forums, but couldn't quite find the answer to my question.

My wife has a long-held Dropbox Plus personal account, which syncs to her laptop (via the Dropbox app with the standard Dropbox folder). She recently opened a Basic account for limited professional use, which has now grown and in need of an upgrade. Up until now, she's only accessed it through her browser. Ideally, this account can be synced to her laptop, along with the personal one, while keeping the two accounts clearly seperate.

I've gotten as far as discovering that one can *link* a Personal and Business account, which seems to do exactly what we want, but I'm confused on which exact plans have the capability.

Per this page, the Business account for individuals is the Professional. But this page confuses me about whether a Plus account can be linked with a Professional account, or if it has to be a Business Standard. This first screenshot's description makes it sound like the Professional account is not a Business account, when it is clearly listed under Business in the second screenshot...

2022-03-01 - PM-08-09-11 - screen shot.png

2022-03-01 - PM-08-09-19 - screen shot.png

Help!

Also, just to confuse matters, we already upgraded her professional account to a Plus account, but I think I can easily upgrade further if needed.

Last, if anyone has experience with linking personal and business accounts -- is it pretty easy and foolproof? I believe I read there are actually two different Dropbox folders (presumably labeled appropriately) that otherwise behave like a normal personal one. That would be ideal. Too much fiddling with the app, or logging in and out, will only create confusion.

We're on macOS, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any and all help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@devynosborne wrote:

But this page confuses me about whether a Plus account can be linked with a Professional account, or if it has to be a Business Standard.

While Professional is considered a business account, it's an individual account, just like the Basic and Plus accounts. Account linking can only be done with a team plan, which would be Business Standard or Business Advanced. You can't link a Plus and Professional account.

I believe I read there are actually two different Dropbox folders (presumably labeled appropriately) that otherwise behave like a normal personal one. That would be ideal.

That's correct. The existing personal account would have its folder renamed to Dropbox (Personal) and the Business account would be in a folder called Dropbox (Team Name), where Team Name is the name you give to the Business team.

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@devynosborne wrote:

But this page confuses me about whether a Plus account can be linked with a Professional account, or if it has to be a Business Standard.

While Professional is considered a business account, it's an individual account, just like the Basic and Plus accounts. Account linking can only be done with a team plan, which would be Business Standard or Business Advanced. You can't link a Plus and Professional account.

I believe I read there are actually two different Dropbox folders (presumably labeled appropriately) that otherwise behave like a normal personal one. That would be ideal.

That's correct. The existing personal account would have its folder renamed to Dropbox (Personal) and the Business account would be in a folder called Dropbox (Team Name), where Team Name is the name you give to the Business team.

devynosborne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the fast reply!

@Rich wrote:

Ah, I see. So it's more accurately described as linking an individual and a team account. This page (which links to the above) uses personal and work descriptions, which was part of the confusion.

2022-03-01 - PM-08-49-23 - screen shot.png

Anyway, that's super helpful, thank you!

One follow up: Does the Individual account take up one of the user slots of, say, the Business Standard plan? I don't imagine her needed the team member options, but you never know.

@Rich wrote:

Great, that's perfect.

devynosborne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

One more question, if @Rich or anyone else knows.

My wife's personal account is an old grandfathered Dropbox Plus w/ Packrat account. If she links this account to her Business Standard account, will she lose her grandfathered features (namely Packrat)?

My question comes up when I found this thread with @Rob_Cash.

I can't tell if a "linked" account counts as "joining a team", and thus changes the account type. 

Or does a linked account effectively stay separate? 

Maybe another way to ask, is if we still get charged for both. The instruction on linking make no mention of transferring to a team, unlike the team instructions.

devynosborne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I figured it out. The two linked accounts remain separate.

HKC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is ridiculous and misleading.

EMarioC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, it's confusing and it feels like I'm being punished. I've paid for years what is going on here? So now that they got rid of teams, which I never wanted anyway but used my business account. Does this mean I can't synchronize these once-linked accounts? if this is true then as I've been doing for years I can no longer sync my personal and business accounts to the same PC? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the nudge, @EMarioC and sorry for any confusion.

If your business account was a free team and you had linked it with a personal account, yes, you won't be able to link these two accounts any more.

A personal account can only be linked to a paid Dropbox Business account. You can read more about what happened here.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

strongroots1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm in a similar situation, though I reversed the account types (Basic for personal, Plus for my business). Because I'm a solo entrepreneur, I don't need the teams function, but would like to functionally separate my personal and business activities. Since I don't qualify for the teams accounts (only 1 person), it looks like the only option is to move all my files into one Dropbox account or move to a different platform altogether for at least one of them, if I want syncing to devices.

devynosborne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@strongroots1 wrote:

I don't qualify for the teams accounts (only 1 person)

My wife was able to sign up for her Business Standard account, even though she is just one person. No other team members necessary.

You may mean that a Business Standard account is overkill for you. But I wanted to clarify there's no qualification (unless something changed with the very recent changes to teams).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jseiwert Helpful | Level 5
    James JAMS New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Liz16 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?