cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited DropBox Back is full?

Unlimited DropBox Back is full?

raymyrtle
Explorer | Level 3

On my Mac using Dropbox Backup, my Dropbox dropdown menu shows my external drive is backing up properly. However, the Dropdown menu shows my laptop is full and only 0% backed up, although it is an unlimited plan.  Furthermore, using MacSpotlight on my Mac, I can see that files are backed up, but on the other hand, using the Finder, the files do not show up. ??

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @raymyrtle, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify what dropdown menu you're referring to that shows your laptop as full?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

raymyrtle
Explorer | Level 3

The dropdown menu is at the top of my mac. 'It shows 2 GB of 254GM backed up. 0% complete,'

I think it might be recording a another type of account I had, that was downgraded to free, when I opted for this Backup style account.

When I showed screenshots etc to the support people, they always say that I have to upgrade.

When I select the Dropbox icon in my finder, and select Command I to get information, and I look at a sample document withing file structure information the info box shows the location as:

Mac HD/Users/raymyrtle/Dropbox/Desktop

If I look in the Dropbox icon I see a selection of files that are backed up and an alias called Documents it shows a file (that I think is my old account) called My Mac (Ray's MBP.hitronhomehub.home  . If I select a document, the item has the blue circle with the 'revolving arrows'  so it looks like this file

However within my Dropbox pull down menu, and select Preferences, then Backups then manage backups, then I see my laptop named: Mac (2) has unlimited backup but when I select View Progress I get the pull down menu saying that my Dropbox is full (please upgrade) and only 2GB is backed up.

Furthermore, the Mac (2) can be found with Spotlight on my Mac, but cannot be found in my Finder.

I suspect my files are backed up but the menus are misnamed (probably by me) giving me confusing information, and so I'm not confident things are backup on my laptop and so have saved everything to my external hard drive.

So, Is the hironhomhub the legacy dropbox folder?

Are the files on my laptop being saved and how do I access them?

Sorry this has been difficult, I've spent dozens of hours cooresponding with online support,  but I wish you had the capacity(like apple does) to share a screen and walk though the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Ray

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @raymyrtle, thanks for the additional info.

Just to clarify, with the backup plan, you have unlimited backup space for one computer and one external drive.

That means that you can use the backup feature on one computer and one external drive and add as many files as you want to the backup.

However, your backup and your Dropbox quota are different.

The amount of space you have on your Dropbox account, remains that of the free Dropbox account, which is 2 GB.

Basically, any files you add to Dropbox, which are not in your backup, count against your Dropbox quota.

So, if you have more than 2 GB in your account here, your Dropbox account will be full.

Is that the case here?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

raymyrtle
Explorer | Level 3

Thx for the reply. I understand the 2 accounts. The problem was the support people thought that was the problem. The problem was I couldn't find the backups for my Dropbox backup subscription.

I've found the 'Home all Files' page showing my old and new accounts and Mac (2) is listed.

The lack of Mac (2) showing up in my Mac's Finder confused me.

A Youtube video helped a bit, and accidently opening the Home all Files page, was the key.

I've got it backing up now but...
How do I find the 'Home all Files' page?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for clarifying, @raymyrtle and happy Monday!

You should be able to find the "All files" page, when logging in to dropbox.com and clicking "All files" from the options on the left side of the page.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    raymyrtle Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?