cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade via google play store

Upgrade via google play store

cheesed off
Helpful | Level 5

I just wasted 45 mins online with an agent.  Tried to upgrade my account.  After all that you can't upgrade your account via DROPBOX sales agent because I signed up via via Google play store.  So went to google play store and I can't upgrade my account via playstore!  Gone back and forth and back and forth with the agent to get nowhere.  Asked if I could call someone for direction, have to go via email!  Was told I need to upgrade to a business plan to make a call.  Can't upgrade to a business plan for direct support because I pay for DROPBOX via playstore.  Surely a big tech company can do better and make upgrading which is essentially volunteering to pay MORE for your service easier! ... No way to upgrade my service without spending more time on a service call and wasting more time.  Very very irritating.  Maybe you want to fix that!

22 Replies 22

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @cheesed off, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Did you originally upgrade to a plan via the Google Play store? 

What plan are you trying to upgrade to?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sanderch
New member | Level 2
I have the same EXACT problem. Wasted 40 min with a chat agent that couldnt help. I can't upgrade my plan through the Google Play store. It's insane that this is an issue for a company this big.

Sanderch
New member | Level 2
I have the same EXACT issue.. It's insane that they have this glitch. Were you able to upgrade?

Chris

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sanderch, I’m sorry to hear you had this issue. 

Just to clarify, did you pay for a Dropbox subscription via the Google Play Store on your device and your Dropbox account still shows as Basic, or was the transaction never completed at all?

Let me know, and we’ll take it from there.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

cheesed off
Helpful | Level 5

No, not yet.  They told me I have to cancel my Google account, wait til my next billing cycle where my storage drops significantly, then sign up again??  Doesn't seem like I can cancel and immediately sign up again.  Of course I am worried about my files because my storage is larger than the basic plan.  I have been told "not to worry about it" but I worry if a tech company can't figure out the most basic thing that actually increases their revenue seamlessly.  

cheesed off
Helpful | Level 5

Paid via Google play store.  Don't ask me how that happened, I think I just added it as a payment method as I have had DROPBOX before the google playstore payment method was added so somehow my account has switched to Google Play store.  I spent a ridiculous amount of time online with an agent who should have been able to tell me that I can't upgrade immediately.  

I was told to:

a)  cancel Dropbox in Google Play

b)  don't worry about losing my info on dropbox

c)  wait until the end of my billing cycle when it drops back down to basic which is an obvious concern as I am worried I will lose info that is over and above the basic level

d)  sign up again sometime down the road via DROPBOX

Surely you have a seamless way to change from Google Play to dropbox itself?  Surely I don't have to set my calendar to remember the exact day and time my Google subscription ends so I can sign up again?  If I have to wait until my plan expires and my storage is over basic how can I be sure I am not going to lose my info or be compromised!

I sincerely hope DROPBBOX finds a seamless way to resolve this so that users who find out the hard way that they are on a "one way street" via DROPBOX Google Playstore can switch effortlessly!  If not, they should be flagged in big letters not in tiny fine print (if its there) on page 80 of a user contract.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @cheesed off, sorry to jump in here. 

We really appreciate your comments about this, I will definitely pass your feedback along to the team.

If you've paid already, you should be on a Dropbox Plus subscription for 2 TB now, which you can see here.

Is this the plan you wanted to upgrade to, or a different one?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Paul van Kessel
Helpful | Level 5

The same here. Only it took me some hours to come to the same point. I am not pleased. Unbelievable that this is not properly handled by Dropbox.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Paul van Kessel, sorry to hear about that! 

Do you also try to upgrade your Dropbox account, as the OP mentioned? Could you let me know more, in regards to the steps you've followed? 

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

This is J New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    RaphT New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?