cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Product Updates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iOS text editor is now available!

iOS text editor is now available!

Ed
Dropbox Staff

We are happy to announce that iOS now has a text editor! You can access this feature on any text file from the toolbar in the lower left corner.

unnamed.gif

56 Replies 56

Timdier
Helpful | Level 6

Bug Report:

Works fine on iPhone 6s.

Only problem I have on my iPad 4 mini is I can’t exit back to the folder list after saving the file. The back-arrow link does not show at the top left, and I am stuck looking at the just edited file. I have to kill the Dropbox app and restart. The file changes are saved however. 

Dropbox v 64.3

ios 11

—Tim 

DanPH77
Helpful | Level 6
If you close the app and you are still backed out of the file when you launch it will sync

Timdier
Helpful | Level 6
Not sure I understand your reply. I know the file is saved, but the Dropbox app is not usable and needs to be killed. The iPad mini version is missing is the “<“ in the upper left corner. It is there on my iPhone.

This is a bug report. I understand the work around, and I am fine with it

Timdier
Helpful | Level 6
Hi all, I just downloaded the iPad update that came out this morning, and the bug has been fixed. THANKS TEAM!
—Tim

Jon T.7
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I am wondering if there are any updates about this problem.

I have verified that the problem persists:

I can only edit (on my phone) .txt files that I create on my phone, not ones created on my Mac.

Jon

Timdier
Helpful | Level 6
Hi Jon, I have no problem editing the same txt file on my iphone, ipad, and Win10 pc --Tim

Jorgos
New member | Level 2

SO very happy about this new functionality. Some feedback though:

1. I have a text file that is 350 kB big, and it's awfully slow to edit that file. In comparison, a newly created file has almost decent responsiveness.

2. When clicking on the edit icon, the cursor is inserted at the bottom of the file. I always add text to my files at the top. The optimal thing would be to remove the icon and insert the cursor where the user clicks on the file. I understand that it has implications with selection etc, but still more logical IMO.

Jon T.7
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I verified that if I create a new .txt file on my Mac, it is editable on my phone.  However, an old .txt file (created years ago) that I want to edit is not.  I don't know why, but it's is a solvable problem.

Jon

Graeme B.2
New member | Level 2
Thank you!! I have been waiting for this for years. This makes ios so much more usable for me, and I’ll be in dropbox a lot more.

Not sure how hard it would be, but support for markdown .md files would be great. (They’re effectively plain text)

biggles
Explorer | Level 4
Can you tell me exactly what encoding DB iOS text editor uses when it creates a .txt file? ASCII, UTF-8??

I have a Unicode .txt file that comes up totally blank if I open it DB - in order to view & edit in DB what encoding should I use to save that file?

Need more support?