cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to a file after logging out

Access to a file after logging out

rwoj
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have access to the PDF file that was created from a Word file - after logging out of the account, through the browser history.

This looks like an error. Am I right?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @rwoj! From what you’ve mentioned so far, and especially since this is happening with Microsoft files, I believe that the issue lies in what’s mentioned here ("When you create/open a new file through Office Online, a link to this file is automatically saved to Dropbox for easy access”).

In that case, I’m afraid it’s not possible to prevent those shared links from being automatically generated, but you can always disable them from your Shared tab, like you’ve done already.

If you wish though, I can pass any feedback you have on this to our development team for you.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Rich
Super User II

@rwoj wrote:

I have access to the PDF file that was created from a Word file - after logging out of the account, through the browser history.

You need to provide more information about how you're accessing the file. Where is the file stored? Is this a file in your account or is it from a link that was shared with you from someone else? How are you accessing it; from the Dropbox folder in your computer or the Dropbox website?

rwoj
Explorer | Level 3
Hi, thank you for your reply.

It was a file in my Dropbox (I’m the owner) I accessed through the Dropbox website.

rwoj
Explorer | Level 3
And one more thing - the PDF file was created automatically from a Word file because I was printing it.

Sorry for not being specific.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rwoj, sorry for jumping in. 

Can you please log out of your Dropbox account once again, and then try to access this file? 

Please take a full screenshot of what you see, and attach it in this thread (if there’s any personal info showing, feel free to remove it first).

I'd like to have a visual, and check this further.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

rwoj
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy,

I did. I can see I have access to both a Word file and a PDF file generated automatically during printing.

Please note that this time I was working on a Mac, but the first time the situation occurred when I was working on Windows (10). In both cases in Firefox (123.0).スクリーンショット 2024-03-05 17.24.14.pngスクリーンショット 2024-03-05 17.24.22.pngスクリーンショット 2024-03-05 17.25.07.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for these, @rwoj! It looks to me that these are shared links, which is why you can access them even while not logged in to your Dropbox account. 

If you go here, are you able to see these files in the list of shared links you’ve created on your Dropbox account?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

rwoj
Explorer | Level 3

Hello @Nancy, thank you for your response.

Indeed, the files I mentioned earlier were on the shared list. However, I don't recall sharing them - nor can I find a reason why I would do so.

So I ran a test: I opened Dropobox in my browser and clicked on another Word file that wasn't in the shared links list. The file opened online (Microsoft 365?). I printed it (automatic PDF). From now on, both files (.docx and .pdf) are available through the browser history even after logging out of Dropbox, and links to edit and view the Word file were automatically created.

In fact, there's no need to print - just opening the Word file online automatically adds links for editing and viewing. But - if I then manually remove both links, this no longer happens again.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Rob

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rwoj, just to clarify, do you mean that you've never created/copied links to these files and when you simply open them on dropbox.com, links are automatically created for them?

And if so, how did you find the links? 

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

rwoj
Explorer | Level 3
Hey Hannah, that’s exactly right — I have never manually created those links, they’re automatically created when I open a Word file (through browser).

I check for links in the links list.

Judging by the number and dates of links to Word files, this has been happening for a long time.

Rob
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dbarrett New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    rwoj Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?