cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Dropbox email address

Changing Dropbox email address

Cabinets458-_4
Explorer | Level 4

I am trying to change the email address I have linked to my Dropbox account because I lost access to my old email. When I try to change it has me verify my new email address, but to verify I have to log in. I can't log in with the new email address because there is no account linked with that yet. I try to log in with the old one, but it sends a verification code to the old email address to log in. I can't access the verification code because the old email address isn't able to receive emails.

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Cabinets458-_4, let's jump right into this! 

As a first question, can you clarify if you have access to the Dropbox account in question? You mentioned that you can't log into the account because of the 6-digit code, however in order to update the email, you'd need access to the account's settings. 

Keep in mind, that without access to the old email address itself, it wouldn't be possible to read this code, therefore access the account. Is it not possible to recreate the email address and attempt to login again?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Cabinets458-_4
Explorer | Level 4

I do have access to the Dropbox account from my laptop, but not from my phone. That's where this started. I tried to log in on my phone and it doesn't work because I need the six digit code, but I don't have access to the email that the code was sent to. I tried to change the email I use and I get a verification email sent to me, but then to verify I have to sign in and I can't sign in. 

It is not possible for me to recreate the email address.

Cabinets458-_4
Explorer | Level 4

I got a notification telling me what the code is. I tried it and it didn't work.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Cabinets458-_4! Sorry for jumping in. 

As per your new email address, can you please clarify what happens exactly if you try to log in to it? Are you able to see the Dropbox verification email in your new email address’s inbox/spam folder?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Cabinets458-_4 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?