cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will Dropbox integrate the acquired Boxcryptor solutions?

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

riccardo1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

As most will know, dropbox has purchased boxcryptor.
At this point my question is, what will happen to all those files that have been encrypted with boxcryptor ? Should they all be decrypted and wait for communication on how the transaction will be handled by Dropbox ?
Boxcryptor was used to encrypt files using other cloud services, will this change ?

Thank you very much
Riccardo

141 Replies 141

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@gordbox 

Just as a ref. point this is the article I was talking about: https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/company/dropbox-to-acquire-boxcryptor-assets-bring-end-to-end-encryp...

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dela23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As Dropbox has acquired Boxcryptor (https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/company/dropbox-to-acquire-boxcryptor-assets-bring-end-to-end-encryp...) with its full end-to-end encryption, I would like to know how this solution will be offered to the Dropbox users.
I have been a Boxcryptor user for more than ten years and am using Boxcryptor end-to-end encryption "on top" of my Dropbox files and folders.
How will Dropbox offer the acquired Boxcryptor technology and real end-to-end encryption to its users?

Concerned Citizen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As a Boxcryptor user for 6 years I'm confused about the strategy here as well.  Why do we need to decrypt all our files first and then wait for Dropbox to re-integrate the capability?  It would have been great if we could have kept all our files just as they were, and have the encryption service just transfer seamlessly into the Dropbox ecosystem.  As it stands now, we are saying goodbye permanently to Boxcryptor and completely disengaging from it, and then hoping that at some day in the future a similar kind of service comes back from within Dropbox.  I will miss Boxcryptor very much.

marco1979
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Good morning,

When will we be able to encrypt data in Dropbox with Boxcryptor?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @marco1979, happy Friday! 

You can see all the available info that we have in this article and on Boxycryptor's end right here.

I hope that clarifies. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

marco1979
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My question is it possible to encrypt data directly in Dropbox with Boxcryptor. So currently there is still no certain date..

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

What Dropbox is really saying by reposting a 4-month-old statement is that the leading cloud provider does not currently offer zero-knowledge encryption and that they don't know when it will happen. They acquired Boxcryptor, and for some unknown reason managed to shut down the official Boxcryptor service immediately, instead of leaving everything as it was until they successfully implemented Boxcryptor into Dropbox.

Curmudgeon
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sync is a better solution than Apple or MSFT.  Sync uses full encryption natively and does not store the keys themselves.  They don't have the ability to encrypt the file names, but they have no access to your files or data.  For the past several months, I've been migrating nearly 60TB from Dropbox to Sync, and other than the sheer magnitude of the volume, it's gone without any problems.  Sync is much less expensive for a business account as well, with a minimum of only 2 users and it's US$200 per user per year for unlimited storage.  

Curmudgeon
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Martin R.19 That's because - like virtually everything that's done by Dropbox - it's act first, think later.  They spend more time thinking up idiotic ideas that make them "newsworthy" or (in their own minds alone) "cool" and then they do it.  The product management team at Dropbox must be staffed by either high school dropouts or those who went to universities that managed to convince them that they're smarter than the rest of us.  What I know with certainty is that none of them have ever worked in a real business that had to manage real business data.  

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

The only reason why I moved my 800GB media data to OneDrive instead to Sync, was the fact, that it is not supported by cloud transfer services such as MultCloud or RiceDrive. For my media data I don't need zero-knowledge encryption. For sensitive data I now use Filen which offers zero-knowledge encryption as a standard.

Need more support?