cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Good news, given the situation

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

riccardo1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

As most will know, dropbox has purchased boxcryptor.
At this point my question is, what will happen to all those files that have been encrypted with boxcryptor ? Should they all be decrypted and wait for communication on how the transaction will be handled by Dropbox ?
Boxcryptor was used to encrypt files using other cloud services, will this change ?

Thank you very much
Riccardo

130 Replies 130

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi Eethan, 

I appreciate your feedback! End-to-end encryption will be offered to our business customers, but we did not yet finalize any pricing/bundling/add-on decisions. 

I will make sure to share your feedback internally, thank you so much. 

HRS2403
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As a paying Dropbox Plus user, I hope there can be a user tier short of "Business" (now $45/month for the minimum of three users), that includes Boxcryptor. Perhaps incorporate Boxcryptor in what is now "Professional?"

Eethan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for your response, apfund.

While it is good news to hear that it is at least being discussed, most of us here are losing our encryption service before any alternative is being offered, leaving us scrambling for another solution.  Mine ends in May, and Dropbox unfortunately hasn't provided a solution to the problem they ultimately created.  I do hope to keep using Dropbox, but I need this encryption-type, and this has really inconvenienced myself and a lot of users.  I would have hoped this matter would be treated with a little more urgency.

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

I completely understand your frustration and the inconvenience this has caused for you and other users.

While I don't have an immediate solution to offer, I'll pass on your feedback to my team.  But I can assure you, that they are aware of the urgency and are already working on this topic. Thank you!

Anton D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm getting tired of these lame excuses. I'm going to move to a zero-knowledge platform.

sebastian_
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
As much as I love Dropbox because it works so well across devices, the company has endlessly proven their priority is to grow revenue over the greater good of its community. — See the eight year battle for “Ignore folder (without selective sync)”.

Dropbox is highly likely making new revenue by eliminating BoxCryptor, the #1 provider of user privacy. The question is — Who or What is the source of that revenue that benefits most from eliminating zero-knowledge encryption? The acquisition cost needs to be offset somehow.

DropBox’s non-action and deflective responses indicate community rants will have zero impact.

The **ONLY** solution is a 3rd party provider of zero-knowledge encryption, like BoxCryptor.

— This thread should be used to share leads on new providers filling the BoxCryptor void.

As for me, I stopped using encryption which is terribly uncomfortable with (insecure) online storage due to the growing number of bad actors out there.

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Well, I asked the BC team last year if they were going to offer something new and similar after Boxcryptor was discontinued. I even asked if it was possible to get the rights to create a clone. All I got were automated messages. We may never know what made BC adapt the poor communication behavior of Dropbox and why they ruined their "baby" after so many years. Will we ever know what motivated BC to leave all the customers out in the cold instead of leaving everything as it was and just coming up with the new product and strategy when it was ready and fully functional? Normally Germans don't do things like that. Maybe Andrea can finally give us some reasons. Anyway, I'm now happily working with Filen, which is also a German startup and reminds me of how it all started with BC more than a decade ago. It replaced my DB and BC and provides zero knowledge encryption. No more two applications needed. As usual, every disaster leads to something new and better in the end...

Loutog
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We have a subscription to Boxcrypter.    We understand that Boxcrypter will be ADDED by Dropbox to Business.   What about paid NON-Business users?     Once our subscription to Boxcrypter comes to an end, We NEED encryption that is available on our MACs, iPads and IPhones. 

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

The current status is, that the first version of our native end-to-end encryption implementation will be offered to our business customers. 

I  will certainly share your comments and suggestions with our team, and we appreciate your feedback.

Additionally, I understand the importance of clear communication and messaging, and I will take this feedback into consideration as well, as we continue to refine our approach. Thank you again for your valuable input. 

sebastian_
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@apfund Respectfully, this not a status report as it lacks 1) Progress, 2) Features, and most importantly 3) the Delivery Date. Users have no clue what to do which fuels confusion or potential anger which is exceedingly damaging to the Dropbox Brand and forever alienates brand ambassadors.

Any exec leadership with the most basic understanding of brand development, Marketing 101, intro-to, or even a kindergartener understands being evasive or dishonest makes people not trust or like them.

Clearly this is a choice by someone whose's role might deserve a performance review by leadership with some emotional intelligence. Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft, is a master of empathy for all stakeholders, even when things are difficult or confidential.

— It might be better to develop an honest answer that helps users in the interim to protect their information AND feel good using the Dropbox platform. These kinds of responses are inauthentic and counter productive.
Need more support?