cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox "Two-step verification text message can't be sent", but my bank etc can send m

Dropbox "Two-step verification text message can't be sent", but my bank etc can send me texts????

PD_OR
Explorer | Level 3

When I login, I get the error "Two-step verification text message can't be sent".

But my bank, credit union & others can send me text messages. My phone number in Dropbox security settings is correct.

I've tried logging into Dropbox several times. Get the same error.

If I reset my password, I can get into my account, but if I logout & try to login again, I get the error message again.

How can I login to Dropbox without resetting my password every time???

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @PD_OR - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Have you tried disabling the 2 step verification completely and re-enabling it anew at all since you first noticed this?

Let me know more and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

PD_OR
Explorer | Level 3

Per your suggestion, I disabled 2-step verification, but when I try to re-enable it, it says my "carrier isn't supported at this time"!

However, the 2nd/alternative phone # I submitted to Dropbox DOES work. It's an identical model iPhone, and it DOES receive 2-step security texts from DB, using the SAME carrier as my phone!

Restarting all devices, clearing browser cache, etc makes no difference. 

Icing on the cake: Now DB says my account is locked for 24-hours! Too many attempts! Grrrrrr .....

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

This is indeed strange behavior, @PD_OR.

Would you mind turning off two-step verification and then setting it up again, but from a different browser or an incognito/private browsing window, to see if that makes any difference?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PD_OR
Explorer | Level 3

Today when I try to enable 2-step verification, I get this message (I've obscured my phone #). Kinda difficult to troubleshoot this issue when DB's security precautions make it impossible/impractical. I understand why this sort of thing is good practice, but a PITA when things don't work as expected.

240130 dropbox 2-step error message.jpg

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for letting me know, @PD_OR, and thanks for your feedback here.

I'd personally try one more time from a different network/connection, but if that doesn't work, please give it some time and get back to us with the result tomorrow.

If it's still not working, let us know and we can send you an email, so we can investigate this internally together.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?