cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotmail no longer existing..can't sign in to dropbox

Hotmail no longer existing..can't sign in to dropbox

cmack251
Explorer | Level 3

Complete mess! my hotmail has been discontinued due to in activity and is also the sign in for an old DB account. in order to try and reset pw DB sends a code to my defunct hotmail account, which I'm unable to retrieve.. in the meantime DB keeps charging the annual fees.

It would be easiest for me to just cancel the account, but not so easy to do. Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@cmack251 wrote:

my hotmail has been discontinued due to in activity and is also the sign in for an old DB account. in order to try and reset pw DB sends a code to my defunct hotmail account, which I'm unable to retrieve..

Without access to the email address there's no way to gain access to the account. If you want to keep the account, your best option is to work with Microsoft to see if they can reactivate your email address.

It would be easiest for me to just cancel the account, but not so easy to do. Any suggestions?

Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

songcodes42
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there,

Worse case scenario if your Dropbox account couldn't be retrieved and you needed to cancel the subscription, you can always contact your bank to block your credit card or request to put a stop payment from Dropbox. In the meantime, you can always submit a ticket on how to recover your Dropbox account by changing it to an active email address provided that our support team has already confirmed that you are the owner of the account. Either they will just send you a One Time Password in lieu of the code that you should be receiving from your Hotmail account. Once you are able to enter the OTP and log in successfully to your account, you are then advised to change your email address to an active one.  You can click on this link to start submitting your ticket: https://www.dropbox.com/support/signin-issues and just choose either Can't access email or lost email access. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks

cmack251
Explorer | Level 3

thank you.

cmack251
Explorer | Level 3

thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cmack251 Explorer | Level 3