cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Password with an invalid email

Invalid Password with an invalid email

CaptTeeCee
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have an invalid G-Mail e-mail address in my profile which I cannot correct because every time I try to change a setting it requires me to validate my account and tell me it sent an e-mail to the INVALID e-Mail address to fix/validate. Not only can I not access this invalid e-mail account, nobody can because it does not exist. I am in a catch 22 and can not use my Dropbox. Please advise as I cannot even use Chat which requires a validation that is sent to the invalid and nonexistent e-mail account!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @CaptTeeCee 

There is no way to fix this other than set up a brand new account with the correct email I'm afraid. Dropbox dont, and wont, update emails on accounts unless they can contact the account holder - which is obviously not working or you'd get the email and be able to update it. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @CaptTeeCee, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Just for clarification, is this an email address you entered on the site accidental? 

Is there a typo in the email itself, and if so, is it before or after the @ symbol?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CaptTeeCee
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for the reply and offer to assist.

The e-mil in the profile has an "_" underscore in it which is not an acceptable character in a G-Mail address 

The actual e-mail is: xxxyyy@gmail.com but in the profile it is: xxx_yyy@gmail.com

As a result, all e-mail sent to validate the proper e-mail account are sent to the one with an underscore which is an invalid address basically locking me out from doing anything with my account, including chatbot and/or calling techsupport.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Okay, so it isn't possible to create that email address with Gmail, since it's an invalid character, is that correct?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

CaptTeeCee
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Jay,

That is correct and that is the key to my problem. Dropbox is asking for validation form an e-mail account that not only does not exist, it cannot even be set up to receive and respond to their inquiry. As a result... I remain locked out of fixing my settings or using my account!

Thanks again for any help you may be able to provide.

CaptTeeCee
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The e-mil in my account profile has an "_" underscore in it which is not an acceptable character in a G-Mail address and I have no idea how it got in my settings.

The actual e-mail is: xxxyyy@gmail.com but in the profile it is: xxx_yyy@gmail.com

As a result, when you try to correct this mistake in the edit settings process, all e-mail sent to validate the proper e-mail account and allow changes in the profile / settings, are sent to the invalid e-mail with an underscore! Since this is an invalid e-mail address the process is basically locking me out from doing anything with my account.

I see no fix other than to have the Dropbox technical team make the fix from their end... but now I have a second problem... How can I get in touch with them to explain my dilemma? 

Does anybody know of a fix to this issue?

Please advise.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @CaptTeeCee 

There is no way to fix this other than set up a brand new account with the correct email I'm afraid. Dropbox dont, and wont, update emails on accounts unless they can contact the account holder - which is obviously not working or you'd get the email and be able to update it. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

cnmany
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Is the only way DB will verify an email account is through sending an email code? Can't they send it to a mobile number? I like many have an old account from a OLD employer and am being charged every year $130!!! and I do not remember my password. I cannot ask my old employer to reinstate my email so that DB can send me a verification.  That is silly. Is there any other way to  at least downgrade the account? so that I m not paying for nothing?  

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cnmany, email verification can only be done via an email, currently.

If you can't access the account, you can contact the billing team by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link, choose 'Other' and then put in an email address that you can access, followed by your billing info.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    cnmany Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    CaptTeeCee Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?