cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Look for advice on best practices when offboarding users

Look for advice on best practices when offboarding users

PV10
Explorer | Level 3

Hey all! Currently the process for offboarding users is pretty straightforward. Once a termination occurs, we transfer the data to the user's manager and delete the account. We haven't run into any issues until recently when upon deleting a user's account, a BUNCH of Shared Links that that user had generated suddenly became unusable. Can anyone advise me on what would be best practice for offboarding users that wouldn't occur in such catastrophic results? Here are some of the things that would, ideally, hold true:

• Links generated by users can live on
  • Continuing to pay for a license for the account wouldn't be the best option
  • Let users continue to be able to use the OS Finder/Explorer to quickly get links to files (whether Shared Links or the direct thinks to files)

Note that any shared files will live in a Team Folder that is accessible to all members of the Dropbox team.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @PV10, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Currently, it isn't possible to prevent the deletion of their shared links when users are offboarded, since they were created by the former member.

Once a user has been deleted and there is a spare license on your account, you can reduce your license usage via these steps.

Could you clarify your last query? Are users currently not able to generate a shared link when they right click files on their machines?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PV10
Explorer | Level 3

Hey @Jay! Thank you for chiming in!

The bullet-list I posted wasn't intended as a list of inquiries, but more of a wishlist for an offboarding process that someone could share with me that would check all the boxes.

For clarification on the 3rd point, though, what I meant was that, currently, when users copy a link from the OS finder/explorer integration, they automatically get a shared link (which breaks when they get offboarded using our current process), but I'd like it to get a direct file link or any other link type that can survive when a user leaves.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update. Currently, there isn't a method to do what you're asking for your wishlist. 

The first and third points are the same, wherein a person created a shared link, if that person was then offboarded, the links would no longer be valid.

For the second matter, the license remains active since you've already paid for it (either monthly or annually), and it can be used for another new agent. Otherwise, you can remove the license using the steps I previously mentioned. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

PV10
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Jay - thanks again for the response!

Do you have any idea how others are currently dealing with Shared Links when they offboard users? Do they just let the account exist perpetually, do they just deal with regenerating new Shared Links, or something else that I'm overlooking?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

We don't have any responses from other team admins on this query, however, keeping a user's account enabled perpetually isn't something that is normal, since it is a waste of a license, and a possible security risk. 

Therefore, they'd either have to recreate the links, or, to prevent this situation in future, have the team admin, or a senior member (who isn't likely to leave soon) create the links themselves.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    PV10 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?