cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost/missed 8-digit emergency backup code

Lost/missed 8-digit emergency backup code

Ahmed Asghar
Explorer | Level 3

I have another account and I was forget password, so I was reset password with the link and change the password, when I was change the password it's ask me 8-digit emergency code unfortunately I forget the code. Is there any possibility to regenerate the code or bypass the code with register 2fa number

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II

Simply put, no, sorry. 

Without the backup code, a device that is set up to receive the codes or a device already logged in there is no way at all of getting in

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ahmed Asghar
Explorer | Level 3
Hello Mark.
I was registered phone number for 2 step verification also and I have the phone number but I don't know why the verification code didn't work. When I was reset password it's ask me 8-digit code unfortunately I was lost the code. If any possibility that code send on my register number?

Ahmed Asghar
Explorer | Level 3
Hello Dropbox support team,
I was forget the password of my Dropbox id so I was reset the password, when ever I was change the password it send me verification code on my phone number, unfortunately this time it ask me 8 digit emergency backup code and I was missed the code. I was create this id in 2016 that why code is lost. Any possibility that code send of my phone number.

Ahmed Asghar
Explorer | Level 3
Hello Dropbox support team,
I have 2 Dropbox id and i was forget the password of my Dropbox id so I was reset the password, when ever I was change the password it send me verification code on my phone number, unfortunately this time it ask me 8 digit emergency backup code and I was missed the code. I was create this id in 2016 that why code is lost. Any possibility that code send of my phone number.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ahmed Asghar, how are you today? 

Just to make sure I understand what you said, and that I didn't get it wrong: is your registered phone-number, the one that's linked to your Dropbox account, in order to receive the 2FA code? 

Do you have any browsers that are still signed in to your Dropbox account, in order to temporarily disable the feature? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ahmed Asghar
Explorer | Level 3
Hi @Megan
You didn't understand what I'm trying to say. When I'm login it show me the error " sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later". Then I was reset password the password is successful reset but it ask me 8 digit emergency code and code was lost. Then I'm login with new password it's show me again an error "sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later". It doesn't send me the verification code on phone number.
I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ahmed Asghar, I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

You can do this by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to enter the same email you use to login to Dropbox. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Mohamad Sikandar Husin
New member | Level 2
Hello Mark.
I was registered phone number for 2 step verification also and I have the phone number but I don't know why the verification code didn't work. When I was reset password it's ask me 8-digit code unfortunately I was lost the code. If any possibility that code send on my register number?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Mohamad Sikandar Husin, welcome to our Community! 

In regards to the 2FA, since you're not receiving the SMS from Dropbox, are you sure you have the correct number listed in your Dropbox settings? Have you contacted your phone carrier to see if the messages are being blocked for some reason?

Do you have any linked devices that you can use, in order to access the account that way? 

Keep me updated with any progress!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?