cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing email attempt or real email?

Phishing email attempt or real email?

iamveryconfused12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 10.20.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-19 at 10.21.34 AM.png

Hi there - I couldnt find anywhere to contact support but I had something sent to me via Dropbox. Never had anything sent before so I wasn't sure if this was a phishing attempt.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@iamveryconfused12 wrote:

... I had something sent to me via Dropbox. Never had anything sent before so I wasn't sure if this was a phishing attempt.

It could be a fake phishing email with a spoofed sender address (very easy to do) or (most likely) it could be a phishing attempt that's just using Dropbox as the transfer service. If you don't know who sent it and don't trust it, don't open it. Forward it to abuse@dropbox.com.

I get crap like this all the time through Gmail/Drive and I just ignore it. If it's legitimate and important, the person sending it will most likely contact you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@iamveryconfused12 wrote:

... I had something sent to me via Dropbox. Never had anything sent before so I wasn't sure if this was a phishing attempt.

It could be a fake phishing email with a spoofed sender address (very easy to do) or (most likely) it could be a phishing attempt that's just using Dropbox as the transfer service. If you don't know who sent it and don't trust it, don't open it. Forward it to abuse@dropbox.com.

I get crap like this all the time through Gmail/Drive and I just ignore it. If it's legitimate and important, the person sending it will most likely contact you.

iamveryconfused12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for posting that email - I couldn't find an actual contact. Have a good one kind person! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

iamveryconfused12 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?