cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bogus warning from Dropbox

Bogus warning from Dropbox

andreasfmpro
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox keeps sending me bogus messages that my dropbox is full and that my files will soon stop syncing.

My dropbox is NOT full, and I resent receiving all these bogus messages. I'm afraid this is a dirty tactic by DropBox to blackmail me into upgrading, and that they will soon stop synching my files in order to escalate this blackmailing tactic.

How do I get them to STOP sending me these bogus email messages, leave me alone, and maintain my free account without fear of losing my files? I will NOT be blackmailed by ANYONE, including Dropbox!

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II

@andreasfmpro wrote:

How do I get them to STOP sending me these bogus email messages, leave me alone, and maintain my free account without fear of losing my files? I will NOT be blackmailed by ANYONE, including Dropbox!

You're not being blackmailed, you won't lose your files, and the only thing that will happen is you won't be able to sync if you go over your quota. If you no longer want to receive the low space message, just turn it off.

andreasfmpro
Explorer | Level 4

Rich,

Are you a DropBox employee? Is this an official reply from Dropbox?

If not, while I thank you for your reply, it does not instill any confidence in me that DropBox isn't going to do exactly what they have been warning me about, in several messages over the last few months, that is, prevent my files from syncing.

DropBox has been unreliable in their policies in the past. I am very much concerned that they will carry out their threats and disable my account even though I am not over my quota.

Rich
Super User II

@andreasfmpro wrote:

I am very much concerned that they will carry out their threats and disable my account even though I am not over my quota.

Dropbox does not, and never has, done that.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @andreasfmpro, wishing you a happy Monday! 

Is it possible that you have two Dropbox accounts? Have you checked that the email address you received the storage emails to, is the same one you're using for your Dropbox account? 

As Rich said, please be aware that if your Dropbox folder becomes over quota, all that should happen is that syncing stops. Dropbox will only sync until you hit your quota, so if you are over your quota, all that should happen is that Dropbox will not sync any new files. 

If you have any questions, let me know.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

andreasfmpro
Explorer | Level 4

I only have one DropBox account.

BTW, is there a way to precisely ascertain via a Dropbox feature/utility the size of my Dropbox account, instead of relying on the mac Finder?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @andreasfmpro, hope it’s OK if l jump in here. 

If you wish to check the storage of your Dropbox account, you can do so via the Plan tab of your account settings. 

In case you have further questions, I’d be glad to help!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

andreasfmpro
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, Nancy,

This conforms that I have more than 3GB available, but Dropbox keeps sending me these ominous, bogus messages that my box is almost full.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @andreasfmpro, you should have an option to unsubscribe from the emails at the bottom of those emails in order to stop receiving them.

Just so you're aware, unsubscribing from emails means that you might miss other important notifications or communications from Dropbox. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

andreasfmpro
Explorer | Level 4

Exactly. So damned if I do, damned if I don't unsubscribe.

Why on earth would Dropbox bombard me with these bogus emails? Why don't they just stop?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Stryder C. New member | Level 2
    Carl E. Helpful | Level 5
    andreasfmpro Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?