cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot unlink Dropbox from Google Account

Cannot unlink Dropbox from Google Account

Santa72
Helpful | Level 5

I cannot figure out how to unlink my dropbox account/login from my Google account on my PC laptop.  On my PC laptop I do not use a Dropbox app, but anytime I go to "dropbox.com" it gives me the option to continue login using my Google account.

I don't want that if it won't prompt me for a password.  I have someone that will be periodically using my laptop and need my dropbox account unavailable.

Searching the web for how to do this I have come across references to logging in as an admin and going to "Admin Console" but I cannot find that the options/selections to follow the steps.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Santa72
Helpful | Level 5
I finally figured it out after some digging, and not sure how I missed this before.

Had to login to my Google account, select, “Manage your data & privacy” under “Privacy & personalization” and then scrolled down to, “Data from apps and services you use”. Dropbox was listed under “Apps and services”.

Unsure how I missed that before but that resolved the issue. Thanks to Megan and Rich for responding yesterday (12/7/23).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Santa72, let's jump right into this! 

Have you tried signing out of your Google account, beforehand and then trying to see if Dropbox will prompt you to sign in using Google Sign-In?

Keep in mind that, In order to have an admin console, you'd need to be part of our Business plans. If you're on a Basic account, you wouldn't have that option.

Let me know of any updates! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Santa72
Helpful | Level 5
Hi Megan. Thanks for replying.

To confirm, I have a Basic account and am not on any type of Business plan.

If I sign out of my Google account (it shows as “Paused” in the top right corner of Google Chrome) and then go to Dropbox.com it does not prompt me to sign in using Google Sign-in. Once I sign back in to my Google account and then go to Dropbox.com it automatically signs me in to my Dropbox account.

Rich
Super User II

@Santa72 wrote:

I have someone that will be periodically using my laptop and need my dropbox account unavailable.

The proper way to do this is to create another computer user account for this person. When they need to use your computer, you sign out of the computer and they sign in with their own account. This will keep all of the files and settings in your own user profile secure, including access to your Dropbox and Google accounts.

Santa72
Helpful | Level 5
Rich - I understand what you are saying but respectfully I disagree with this being a resolution. Your response is turning a blind eye to the issue at hand, which is that there should be a simple way to unlink Dropbox from Google so that if a person is signed in to their Google account it automatically provides permissives to login to Dropbox on a PC without providing the ability to enter a password. The issue is no password is currently required to login to Dropbox even if I sign out. As soon as I type “Dropbox.com” it gives the option to login without password needed.

Santa72
Helpful | Level 5
I finally figured it out after some digging, and not sure how I missed this before.

Had to login to my Google account, select, “Manage your data & privacy” under “Privacy & personalization” and then scrolled down to, “Data from apps and services you use”. Dropbox was listed under “Apps and services”.

Unsure how I missed that before but that resolved the issue. Thanks to Megan and Rich for responding yesterday (12/7/23).
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Santa72 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?